1st Generation S-series (1983-1994) Tech Discuss 1st generation S-series (1983-1994) general tech topics here.

can you help my 2.8L V6 out?

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2007, 11:05 AM
MattWarden is an unknown quantity at this point
Default can you help my 2.8L V6 out?

I've recently had a problem with my blazer. It won't exceed the speed of 20-30 mph. and slithers up a hilll like a snail, lol seriously! Even when it's idling in neutral the throttle doesn't have as much play to it when i try to rev the engine.

I gave it a basic tune up and still have the problem. I'm leaning towards the whole new fuel pump idea, I just don't want to do that and it not tbe the problem. Please Help!

Old 10-25-2007, 12:01 PM
Sunshine Coaster is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: can you help my 2.8L V6 out?

I just went through the exact same thing, checked or replaced every sensor I could get my hands on...turns out my catalytic converter was broken up inside andit was less than 1 year old I put a new one on and it runs like brand new now, get underneath and bang on the bottom of the cat, you shouldn't be able to hear anything. If there's any rattling the homeycomb has probably broken up and restricting the exhaust. Try pulling out the O2 sensor and see if it runs any better.(Kyle's tip)..that'll give the exhaust a place to vent. Even if it only runs a little better that will point to a restriction. Good luck.

Old 10-25-2007, 02:04 PM

oh...i don't have a cat on my blazer. but then again it still could be the o2 sensor

thanks for the help. and lol who's kyle?

Old 10-25-2007, 02:28 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

I think he's referring to me... Thanks Tom!

It might help us help you a bit better if we knew what year it is that you are driving... The 2.8L was carb'd, feedback carb'd, then throttle body injected all with very different systems...

Old 10-25-2007, 03:37 PM

It's a 85' S10 Blazer 2wd

Old 10-25-2007, 04:38 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

I'm sorry... That means you have the notorious feed back carburetor which is a royal pain to deal with. I believe that this engine has a mechanical fuel pump as it doesn't require high pressure for the carb. You may want to replace the fuel filter and see how it reacts first.

Old 10-30-2007, 09:32 PM
Starting Member
FRICKINNUTS is an unknown quantity at this point

Was this a sudden slow down or over time? I love my 85 but you have to talk sweet to them :-)
I'm putting off rebuilding my carb but it's gonna have to be done. My is slowing down and not running like she use too. Changed the fuel filter thinking it was the problem.