1st Generation S-series (1983-1994) Tech Discuss 1st generation S-series (1983-1994) general tech topics here.

Hmm! bad ball joint? *video*

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2011, 01:14 AM
Toby Hanson will become famous soon enough

I didn't find replacing the ball joints to be too difficult. I had done the ball joints on my '92 GMC Vandura and that was a week-long pain in the ***. On my Blazer it wasn't nearly as difficult. Don't be afraid to try it out. The uppers are easier than the lowers because there's more clearance to get to the rivets. Be careful as you disassemble all the parts attached to the knuckle and it's pretty straightforward.

Old 10-05-2011, 05:46 PM
BF Veteran
chris015 has a spectacular aura aboutchris015 has a spectacular aura aboutchris015 has a spectacular aura about

FIXED ITTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Back in may i deleted my front diff. I remember trying to remove the top control arm for some reason or another. I loosened the left bolt that mounts the arm to the frame,but i may have forgot to tighten it or it just backed out but it was completely loose! I tightened it back up and tested it out,all is well. Not sure what it did to the bushing,but nothing wobbles or thumps anymore. Took me 2 minutes to fix it.

total cost for repair= $1.00 for arizona sweet tea.

Old 10-05-2011, 05:59 PM
BF Guru
xgiovannix12 has a spectacular aura aboutxgiovannix12 has a spectacular aura about

very nice =P

Old 10-05-2011, 08:25 PM
69chevelle is on a distinguished road

haha the camber adjustment bolt? didn't even think about that.. good job but if it was that means your camber/caster is off :P

Old 10-05-2011, 08:27 PM
BF Veteran
chris015 has a spectacular aura aboutchris015 has a spectacular aura aboutchris015 has a spectacular aura about

Oh dude the tire is toast. Nothing is left on the inside of the tire. No worries though,no bands are showing yet and a friend has a set of trans am rims for 100 bucks. which are 16" rims. So i have to get more tires anyways. then il mess with alignment. Hopefully that bushing is still good enough to use.

Old 10-06-2011, 09:45 PM
Beginning Member
Johnnyboy is an unknown quantity at this point

FYI if you jacked up the front and tryed to moved the tire in, out, up, down with very minimal play I would look elseware. I just replaced my Torson bar mounts the left side was clunking & I would feel it under my feet every now & then. It was completly separated & the left side Torson bar was up aganist the top of the frame mount it has to go thru before it attaches to the Torson Bar Mounting Bracket. The left side is easy due to the large hole in the frame cross member. The rightside is another story. If you feel clunking under your feet while driving & hitting holes. I would check the Torson mounts. Just to let you know the clunking felt like it was closer to the front & at first I thought of ball joints. Just an FYI ...John Good Luck

Old 10-06-2011, 09:46 PM
BF Guru
xgiovannix12 has a spectacular aura aboutxgiovannix12 has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by chris015
FIXED ITTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Back in may i deleted my front diff. I remember trying to remove the top control arm for some reason or another. I loosened the left bolt that mounts the arm to the frame,but i may have forgot to tighten it or it just backed out but it was completely loose! I tightened it back up and tested it out,all is well. Not sure what it did to the bushing,but nothing wobbles or thumps anymore. Took me 2 minutes to fix it.

total cost for repair= $1.00 for arizona sweet tea.

He fixed it ^^^^^

Old 10-06-2011, 10:04 PM
BF Veteran

Originally Posted by Johnnyboy
FYI if you jacked up the front and tryed to moved the tire in, out, up, down with very minimal play I would look elseware. I just replaced my Torson bar mounts the left side was clunking & I would feel it under my feet every now & then. It was completly separated & the left side Torson bar was up aganist the top of the frame mount it has to go thru before it attaches to the Torson Bar Mounting Bracket. The left side is easy due to the large hole in the frame cross member. The rightside is another story. If you feel clunking under your feet while driving & hitting holes. I would check the Torson mounts. Just to let you know the clunking felt like it was closer to the front & at first I thought of ball joints. Just an FYI ...John Good Luck
Yea man i already fixed it.

for the torsion mounts,they always break. whatcha do is get some heavy chain,remove the top bolt on the mount,attach the chain to it,then weld the endlink of the chain to the frame. you'll never have to replace em again! Just good luck removing the torsion member lol.

Old 10-07-2011, 10:23 PM
Beginning Member
Johnnyboy is an unknown quantity at this point

Great I missed that part ?? LOL