1st Generation S-series (1983-1994) Tech Discuss 1st generation S-series (1983-1994) general tech topics here.

How to disable ABS, also clicking sound at pedal?

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2009, 01:37 PM
Starting Member
rastoma is on a distinguished road
Default How to disable ABS, also clicking sound at pedal?

Got a couple of questions....

How do you disable the ABS so I can diagnose if that is causing my brakes issues? I can't find a fuse that says ABS under the dash.

Also, what could be causing a clicking sound every time I press the brakes? The sound is inside the cab under the dash.

Oh... last question Regarding hard brake pedal. Besides losing pedal sometimes, most of the time the pedal is firm but very hard to press, like the truck doesn't have power brakes. What is the best to diagnose the problem and the brake booster?

93 s10 Blazer 4x4, 4.3 W engine.

Old 12-12-2009, 02:10 PM
ve3nsv is on a distinguished road

Sounds like you have a defective wheel sensor or one that is out of adjustment. If you have too much of an air gap the ABS will kick in at lower speeds under 15km/h. Some have been able to fix this problem by removing the sensor and cleaning the area around the hole and then reinstalling the sensor.

You are going to need to find somebody with a scan tool that can help you diagnose the problem. I'm not sure if you can retrieve the ABS codes with the jumper on the OBD plug or not.

Old 12-12-2009, 03:22 PM
Starting Member

Will there still be codes to pull if im not geetting an abs light or check engine light?

Whats happening is at low speeds if i hit the brakes AND hit a bump or rough spot something buzzes under the hood and i lose pedal. but it pumps up ok again but its a hard pedal like manual brakes

Old 12-12-2009, 03:54 PM
ve3nsv is on a distinguished road

Definitely sounds like too much of an air gap on one of the ABS sensors. I am pretty sure a drive around the block with a scan tool will tell you which wheel is causing you trouble.

The ABS kicking in prematurely will cause the symptoms you have described.

Old 12-12-2009, 06:11 PM
Starting Member

Originally Posted by ve3nsv
Definitely sounds like too much of an air gap on one of the ABS sensors. I am pretty sure a drive around the block with a scan tool will tell you which wheel is causing you trouble.

The ABS kicking in prematurely will cause the symptoms you have described.

Only a dealer has that scan tool right? And the ABS module can only be bled with a scan tool at the dealer?

What if I unplug the ABS? Will I get a normal pedal (as long as the brake booster is working) but of course just no ABS function?

Old 12-12-2009, 10:52 PM
BF Guru
old skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by ve3nsv
You are going to need to find somebody with a scan tool that can help you diagnose the problem. I'm not sure if you can retrieve the ABS codes with the jumper on the OBD plug or not.
sure can, just jump terminals A & H on your ALDL terminal.

Originally Posted by rastoma
Only a dealer has that scan tool right? And the ABS module can only be bled with a scan tool at the dealer?

What if I unplug the ABS? Will I get a normal pedal (as long as the brake booster is working) but of course just no ABS function?
any garage will have a capable scan tool for that. there are threads on here already for how to do this.

i unplugged my main ABS plug on the module under the hood, and never had any issues with it.. drove it for over 5 years like that.

i still say it's your ABS motor that's faulty rastoma. we discussed this issue in one of your other threads regarding your crazy brake pedal issues. have you had anyone do a thorough diagnosis of the ABS module or system yet?

Old 12-13-2009, 04:49 PM
Starting Member

Originally Posted by old skool luvr

i still say it's your ABS motor that's faulty rastoma. we discussed this issue in one of your other threads regarding your crazy brake pedal issues. have you had anyone do a thorough diagnosis of the ABS module or system yet?
I haven't had the funds to take it to a mechanic yet.

So you think it could still be the abs module even though there are no codes and the ABS light doesn't come on?

Old 12-13-2009, 05:41 PM
Beginning Member
f-ten is on a distinguished road

i think i got that same clicking sound in my 94 with abs...can you feel it in the pedal itself when your foot is on it? i tried adjusting one of the break light switches (there are 2 for some reason) that is above the pedal in amongst the wiring and that made the click less frequent. that fixed it for a while, until the switch finally broke into 2 pieces one day and the brake lights wouldnt shut off unless i unhooked the battery. i had to buy a new one for a whopping $7.99 and spent 20 minutes in an incredibly uncomfortable position. Now the click seems to be gone.

Old 01-02-2010, 05:11 PM
outlaw78 is on a distinguished road

I have the same click. It does it all the time when the vehicle is cold inside, but as it warms up inside I don't hear it anymore. Found out it was the switch that controls the ABS. It gets sticky when its warm. I am going to replace it but don't know how just yet. I just took a quick glance at it. It has some sort of vacuum hose or something attached to it. How easy is this to replace??

Old 01-04-2010, 05:03 AM
Starting Member

Originally Posted by outlaw78
I have the same click. It does it all the time when the vehicle is cold inside, but as it warms up inside I don't hear it anymore. Found out it was the switch that controls the ABS. It gets sticky when its warm. I am going to replace it but don't know how just yet. I just took a quick glance at it. It has some sort of vacuum hose or something attached to it. How easy is this to replace??
Yep, mine does it when cold too and mostly stops when warm.

I have unplugged all the wires to the ABS under the hood and all the weirdness/noises/lost pedal have stopped. But now I think I may need a brake booster TOO. The pedal feels a lot better now and I don't lose pedal as before but now the pedal is very hard to press almost like there is no brake booster

BUT I've never driven another 93 S10 Blazer. I'm comparing the feel to my '03 Town & Country van. I know they won't be identical but again, comparing between the two, the Blazer feels like total manual brakes with no assist.

Quick Reply: How to disable ABS, also clicking sound at pedal?