1st Generation S-series (1983-1994) Tech Discuss 1st generation S-series (1983-1994) general tech topics here.

How to get passenger door open

Old 11-02-2009, 10:14 AM
Beginning Member
treysanatomy is on a distinguished road
Default How to get passenger door open

I finally thanx to you folks got my fuel pump fixed. Now my passenger door won't open from inside or out. I can see the rod on the exterior handle has popped off but why will it no open from inside? How do I get my door panel off with door closed? I can get it apart enough to see the handle and lock rods. Not sure what to do from here. Is there schematic somewhere of the how the rods are connected or where I can open it from. I have a Haynaes manual and it show nothing. Please advise.. As always thanx

Old 11-02-2009, 02:52 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

That is going to be difficult without breaking the door panel... If you can find another one for cheap, just break your current one loose and then get in there to get at the rods.

I am reminded of how I have popped doors at crashes... I have a little utility bar that has a can opener style end on it. I can open a door in only a few minutes time with that tool. It has saved time over getting out the air hammer with sheetmetal bit or getting the jaws out. Of course, you would need a new door after I'm done!..

Old 11-02-2009, 06:12 PM
BF Veteran
abig84 will become famous soon enoughabig84 will become famous soon enough

You can usually start taking off as maÑy door panel screws as you can and try to pull the door panel back and get your hand in there to grab one of those rods. You risk damaging the door panel though

Old 11-03-2009, 02:00 PM
Beginning Member
treysanatomy is on a distinguished road

OK I was able to get the door panel completely off. the rods are connected to the inside door handle and door lock. I can only see and feel so much, I was wondering if I were to take a Dremel tool and cut out a piece of the panel to see what I am doing? I did this to the driver door to replace the lock cylinder, or does someone have a better idea?