1st Generation S-series (1983-1994) Tech Discuss 1st generation S-series (1983-1994) general tech topics here.

ign/gau fuse always blowing

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2009, 07:47 PM
1991chevy is on a distinguished road
Default ign/gau fuse always blowing

i have a 1991 chevy s10 i love the truck it was my grandfathers he had it for years but for a year i been trying to track down a short in the ign/gau fuse i will not stop blowing i replaced the battery ignition switch and the altinator with out this fuse working the truck will not charge none of the gages work i just dont even know were to start with this.

thanks

Old 11-06-2009, 11:18 PM
s10 blazer dude is an unknown quantity at this point

man i have that samer problem its been a year since it started its still going on, usually when i try to take off or hit bumps,, no one has had a solution yet its horrible

Old 11-23-2009, 06:45 PM
Beginning Member
92s10Blzr is on a distinguished road

i had the same problem once, a few years ago, i took it to a mechanic/electrician that charged be 40 bucks and said its good to go, i asked what was worng and he said oh there was a short, end of story. 2 weeks laters, i was driving to vegas from los angeles, and right before i hit the state line, the fuse popped again. luckly i made it to vegas on battery power. so i ended up taking it to another electrician in vegas that charged me around 250 bucks and and took most of the day to do and when i asked, i was told that there were some wires that were bare and shorting out between the distributor and the firewall, but since its pretty hidden I couldnt really see anything, while that lasted about 2 years until i took the car into another shop for a smog issue i had and the mecahnic was tracing the wires to the TPS, and when he reached behind the distributor, we heard a short spark and that fused popped again, so the mechanic was confused so i told him what it was, so he tried looking for the short but couldnt find anything but while trying he connected a jumper to that fuse sot so it wouldnt blow out a bunch of fuses trying to find the short, but what ended up happening is that as he wsa yanking the bunch of wires, those same bare wires must have burned and melted into something none conductive and the fusing popping stopped. but now im having an intermiten (sorry for the spelling) issue with the TPS, O2, and the coolant temp sensor, and makes the car shake until it stalls but once i restart it runs like a champ. i have yet to expose those wires from behind the distrubutor, i'll have to disconnect the wires going to the O2 and tranny so i can pull the wire bunch up and see whcih wires are bad.

Old 11-23-2009, 09:05 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

This is where s10 blazer dude's thread left off:
ignition/gauges fuse problems..94

The fact of the matter is that wiring problems are one of the most difficult to diagnose and repair. When a wire shorts out, it will heat up and affect other wires in the bundle. It can also head up in areas other than the shorted location due to the current draw causing problems in seemingly unrelated areas. If you have a location of a short, the best way to completely cure the problem is to remove the wiring harness and replace all of the wire loom. Then replace any wire that is brittle or difficult to bend checking along the entire length of each wire.

Old 10-11-2012, 12:53 AM
Starting Member
drewbritton08 is on a distinguished road

Mine was doing the samething its the o2 sencer. Shorting out. How I found it. I tryed for 2 months to take off and I sprade it with pb blast and it strted blowi g the ing/gages. I unpluged the o2 sencer and it stoped blowing the fuse.