1st Generation S-series (1983-1994) Tech Discuss 1st generation S-series (1983-1994) general tech topics here.

ignition/gauges fuse problems..94

Old 02-07-2009, 07:43 AM
s10 blazer dude is an unknown quantity at this point
Default ignition/gauges fuse problems..94

my 94 has an interesting problem and i have no idea what to do about it..the ignition and gauges fuse blows alot..this shuts of my gauges and makes the ring sound when headlights are on ..like when the truck is off but the lights are on..it also causes the truck to run ****ty..if i am at a stop while this has occured i can floor the truck and it will do about 5 mph and then build up speed after a while.. the fuse blows when i hit bumps.or if i take off kinda quick or f i brake hard sometimes..idk what the problem is ..please help!!!..thanks

Old 02-07-2009, 11:08 PM
quik1964 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: ignition/gauges fuse problems..94

grounding strap from motor to frame perhaps?

Old 02-10-2009, 09:10 AM
Starting Member
rdhack is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: ignition/gauges fuse problems..94

http://econtent.autozone.com:24991/z...528003db86.gif

Old 03-15-2009, 12:00 PM

i have followed the wire form the ign/gauges fuse its pink and black how will i know if that wires the problem

Old 03-15-2009, 02:12 PM

and could you tell me where to find the grounding strap

Old 03-15-2009, 03:46 PM

today i tested the wires with a voltmeter..i touched the meter on the left slot where the fuse goes and touched it to the frame..it was shorted to the frame..is it supposed to be shorted to the frame..the right side of the slot is open

Old 03-15-2009, 06:47 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

How can you short a connection with a voltmeter? Do you mean that you had +12V at that slot?

With any fused connection, one side should be battery voltage (or ignition switched voltage depending on the intended use) and the other side will read open (barring any wiring problem back feeding voltage).

Typical location for the motor ground strap is the back of the passenger cylinder head.

Old 03-15-2009, 07:15 PM

we were trying to test to see if the pnk/blk wire is shorted.the battery is not in the truck,should the pnk/blk be shorted to frame?(this is the wire hooked to the fuse that keeps blowing)ign/gauge fuse

Old 03-15-2009, 07:33 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

If you test continuity between the open connection and the battery positive connector, does it read continuous? It likely should.

What was the resistance to ground on the pnk/blk wire? The IGN/GAU fuse feeds power to MANY items (cruise, defog, drl, cluster, alternator, convenience center, rear view w/ compass, transmission, & door jam switch). So in the case of the door jam switch, if the doors are open, this would close that circuit which, if the battery was installed, would turn on the interior lights. So if you have a door open, this circuit could read continuous to ground, but have a finite resistance associated. Some other circuits off of this fuse may also have an associated resistance to ground.

Here is the schematic for this fuse. Does not really tell you much though...

Attached Thumbnails  ignition/gauges fuse problems..94-ign_gau_fuse.jpg  
Old 03-16-2009, 09:28 AM

my truck does not have the digital cluster and i have no compass, in the repair manual it shows a wire diagram where the ign gauges fuse comes out splits and one way goes to the cluster the otherf goes to the alternator then to the battery..it also goes to the O2 sensor so far thats all weve checked i mean i odnt know much about the electrical scene

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: ignition/gauges fuse problems..94