1st Generation S-series (1983-1994) Tech Discuss 1st generation S-series (1983-1994) general tech topics here.

Intermittent wiper retrofit

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2010, 11:25 PM
m5james is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Intermittent wiper retrofit

My 90 Blazer doesn't have them, and I was curious to see if it's something I can easily swap in from a junkyard vehicle. I tried searching to see if this was done, but using the keywords "intermittent" got me lots of engine threads, and "intermittent wiper" got me threads of people wipers acting weird, coming on when going over bumps, etc. I'm borrowing a friends 86 S10 2.8 while his fixing my cronic taillight fuse blowing issue, along w/ the wiring problem that kept blowing the fuse for the A/C as well. Anyways, his truck has intermittent and I was thinking how the little things in life like this would be nice to have. I was hoping it could be something simple like swapping the stalk/arm and I'd be a plug and pluy upgrade. On that same arm I noticed he's got cruise control as well, but I know what'd be harder to install since it requires something to hold the throttle cable, speed sensor, etc.

Old 02-18-2010, 07:44 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

I would have to look up the wiring diagrams to see, but it should be something that can be swapped over. Gimpy will probably beat me though. I emailed this thread to myself to remind me later.

Honestly, I didn't think they did the three speed wiper thing past the mid-80's. That must have been a pretty stripped down truck.

Cruise may be more difficult... It all depends on whether the wiring is there or not.

Old 02-19-2010, 07:41 PM

Thanks for looking. Of course the blinker canceler on the left side stopped working today, so I need to replace the arm/assembly now anyways. Have you been able to find out anymore, or should I PM Gimpy so he'll come over here? Being such a simple luxury, I'm surprised no one has tried this before.

Last edited by m5james; 02-19-2010 at 07:50 PM.
Old 02-19-2010, 09:29 PM
Gimpy Blazer is on a distinguished road

Did I get "volunteered" for something?
If you have the type of dash that I think you have, the switch is the same as the one you have already. The difference is that it has a delay module in the circuit. The W/D I have is not too descriptive, but I think it's the same from (at least) 84 up to 1990. I believe in 1991 they changed the dash over to the 2nd type and kept it until 1994. My 84 Jimmy has this type of wiper system in it. The delay module sits in the dash as you probably are familiar with after driving you friemd's 86. I would scour the junkyards for the motor,module and wiring harness. There are two modules. One for the delay and one for the light. It's all right there in the dash. It's most likely a plug and play if you get the right stuff. The switch has wash, low and high speeds with the low speed requiring you to set the delay from about 30 seconds to continuous (if my old feeble brain doesn't fail me). If you can still find any of this stuff in a junkyard that is. I ran a search for some salvage yards in Texas for the motor and came up with a few hits. Try this website for one near you.
http://www.car-part.com/
You can change the parameters around for location or whatever. Just a little advice. Don't bother e-mailimg them. Just call. What you want I would think would be possible and really not very hard if you get all the stuff.
Probably why nobody has tried this before is because we all already have it...Haha

Last edited by Gimpy Blazer; 02-19-2010 at 10:08 PM. Reason: revised modes
Old 02-22-2010, 02:20 AM

I was hoping that the delay thing was something simply built in, then I'd also be able to kill two birds w/ one stone since I've left the self cancelling when turning left.

What is W/D?

I can take a pic of my dash if you'd like, but it's definately base model...no tach, not digital in anyways.

What light are you referring to? I have my fingers crossed that it's plug and play. Dumb question because I haven't looked closely, but will I have to remove the steering wheel to change the wiper stalk and fix my broken self cancelers? My current wiper stalk is either off, low or hi.

I've used www.car-part.com before, as well as recommended it over on other forums I use. I bought the rear swaybar upgrade, 750iL brakes and a 6spd tranny for the conversion on my 740iL...great site to find things. There are a handful of Blazers around the 5-6 junkyards I have within 40 or so minutes from my house, so I'll probably go local since it's such a common truck to find in the yards.

Last edited by m5james; 02-22-2010 at 02:44 PM.
Old 02-22-2010, 03:27 AM
ohsofly will become famous soon enoughohsofly will become famous soon enough

W/D = Wiring Diagram I think.

Old 02-22-2010, 05:39 AM

Answers to your questions.
I think this is pretty much a plug and play. Most if not all of the wiring is probably there already. Basically you just need to add the delay module in between the multi- function lever (stalk) and the motor.
Yes W/D means wiring diagram.
The light I mentioned is a littlr module that goes below the delay module and says "DELAY".
I don't know if the motor is the same for a delayed wiper system or not. If you find the stuff at a salvage yard, get EVERYTHING. Wiring, brackets, etc. and label it how it hooks up. Always disconnect connectors before cutting wires. Masking tape and a pen will be required tools here. I don't think this is going to be a big deal. You can look at your friemd's Blazer and check if the motor is the same as yours. "Nice to have one in the parking lot to look at" so they say.

Old 02-22-2010, 02:45 PM

I'm gonna replace DESTROYED engine mounts tomorrow, so I'll take a look at my buddies truck for comparison tomorrow while at the shop. Thanks for the information, and I'll keep ya updated.

Old 02-22-2010, 03:06 PM

Please do. I'd be interested in how ot turns out. Really don't think it's that big of a deal.