1st Generation S-series (1983-1994) Tech Discuss 1st generation S-series (1983-1994) general tech topics here.

Relpaced pulleys and belts still Squeeking

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2010, 09:50 PM
Beginning Member
Kevin.N.Odom is on a distinguished road
Default Relpaced pulleys and belts still Squeeking

I replaced the tensioner pulley/assembly and the Idler pulley today and also did the belt.
The ac compressor and clutch assembly on it are all new with in the last 3 months.

No pulleys are locked any more. The idler pulley was locked up before i replaced it today.

Bought three different brand belts ALL Still Squeaked unless dressing applied: Here's the belts bought and tried: Goodyear Gatorback , Duralast belt, and Value craft belt.

It still squeaks. The only thing that will shut it up is some v belt dressing.
But after 15 min of driving it starts squeaking again.

Now from my knowledge if belt dressing quiets it for a while then the belt is bad. And if it still squeaks when the belt has been dressed then it is a bad pulley/bearing

Any ideas friends? It annoys the hell out of me completely.

Edit: also starter and its pulley assembly is only 3 months old and everything is installed correctly.

Last edited by Kevin.N.Odom; 02-04-2010 at 10:46 PM. Reason: Add more info
Old 02-04-2010, 10:34 PM
Gimpy Blazer is on a distinguished road

You may need a new tensioner. It may have lost some of it's ability to put enough tension on the belt. When you load it up (like with the A/C on) does it get worse? If so I would suspect the tensioner.

Last edited by Gimpy Blazer; 02-04-2010 at 10:35 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 02-04-2010, 10:48 PM
Beginning Member

As Said Tensioner pulley and assembly have been replaced

Old 02-04-2010, 11:32 PM

I guess you did. I missed it. Have you tried a stethescope? If you don't have one try a piece of 1/2" garden hose. Put one end up to your ear and then just move the other end to where you think the noise is coming from. It'll isolate the noise down to that 1/2". You have to have a general idea of where the squeak is though. It may just be one pulley that's causing the noise.

Old 02-04-2010, 11:43 PM
Beginning Member

Will try the gardening hose idea. Could it be my harmonic balancer ?

Old 02-05-2010, 04:18 AM

I've never heard of one squeaking. I guess anything is possible but if you're putting belt dressing on the belt and it goes away for a short while I doubt it. It could be the pulley that bolts to it though. Loose? Maybe. Just be careful when you do the garden hose thing. It's easy to get tunnel vision and put your hand where it doesn't belong. The balancer pulley would be the easiest one to check once you pull the lower shield (6 bolts).

Last edited by Gimpy Blazer; 02-05-2010 at 04:21 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 02-05-2010, 04:57 AM
ohsofly will become famous soon enoughohsofly will become famous soon enough

Hmmm a garden hose... I use a long screwdriver or mechanics stethoscope, one end on my ear, and the other stuck to whatever I want to hear...

Try sticking it to your alternator, I wonder if the brushes in it are squeaking...

Also if you have one of those little laser pointers, stick it on the large pulleys and point it at the other ones, that will help you see if they are out of alignment a little. It maybe as easy as bending an AC bracket a little to get the belt to run true on all the pulleys. Take a real close look to how the belt sits on each pulley when its running, you may see that it rubs the side of one pulley more than the others.

Ive never tried that belt dressing. I rub a good ole bar of hand soap on them myself.

Ive also never heard of a harmonic pulley squeaking... But i did jump my S15 dukes of hazzard style once, and the only thing that broke was the harmonic balancer, it seemed to become a 2 peice after that, and the outer ring would work its way back into the timing chain cover over time and scream like a bastard... Ive never replaced it, I just use a prybar to get it back to where it should be... One day Ill fix it, but that motors gotta come out for that job...

Last edited by ohsofly; 02-05-2010 at 05:01 AM.
Old 02-05-2010, 07:17 AM
96Blazernut is an unknown quantity at this point

My 96 takes spells where the serpentine will squeal and squeak. Then it will stop for days at a time. I have tried different belts but it still does it. I just ignore it and for the most part its quiet. I have replaced both the idler and the tensioner pulleys as well. I guess it's just the nature of rubber belts on metal pulleys.

Old 02-05-2010, 09:48 AM
mr.vls will become famous soon enough

If the Gatorback did not fix the squeak then I would be looking at the alignment of all the pulleys and see if they are tracking in the same plane. The only pulley that is adjustable would be the power steering pump pulley. Has the power steering pump been replaced at all? There is a possibility that the pulley was not pressed on far enough to ensure that the track is co-planer with all of the other pulleys. I made this mistake when I replaced my engine and I tore up two belts before I realized that I did not get the pulley on the shaft far enough to get the pulley within the same plane as all of the others. I lived with a squeak for many miles before I fine tuned the alignment of the power steering pump pulley and used a gatorback belt. No more belt squeak.

Last edited by mr.vls; 02-05-2010 at 09:53 AM.
Old 02-05-2010, 10:13 AM

Nice thing about a hose is you can make it as long as you want. I prefer a stethescope but the hose thong wirks well on exhaust and if you burn ot just toss it and cut yourself off another one.
Good point about checking to see if all of the pulleys are in plane. The P/S pump pulley is supposed to be flush with the end of the pump shaft.