1st Generation S-series (1983-1994) Tech Discuss 1st generation S-series (1983-1994) general tech topics here.

Liftgate Key Cylinder/Lock

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2008, 01:31 AM
Beginning Member
Quicksilver is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Liftgate Key Cylinder/Lock

I just picked up a Blazer a few weeks ago and at some point someone decided to remove the key lock cylinder from the liftgate.The woman we bought it off of claimed you can get it open with your finger but I can't seem to (althoughin all honesty I haven't messed with it much since I don't feel like gashing my finger open on the edges).Does anyone have any idea where I can buy one? I checked the local salvage yard and theydon't have a singleGen 1 on the lot....andI can't find one online anywhere.Any suggestions guys?

Thanks
Wooten

Old 09-25-2008, 04:35 AM
mnstrjim is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: Liftgate Key Cylinder/Lock

go to www.LMCtruck.com they got everything for your make and model to build one from the ground up. order ya a catalog and they will hook ya up

Old 09-25-2008, 06:32 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Another vote for LMC.

Old 09-25-2008, 07:13 AM
Peru Motors is an unknown quantity at this point

hey guys-1st generation with a 'liftgate'? Probably a 'dropgate' with a lift window-correct? And then...PLEASE correct me if if wrong(would like to learn something if I'm wrong)-clicked on the LMC link. Don't see the correct tailgate(which when I did bodywork could NEVER find in the aftermarket especially the tailgate with the swingaway spare-GM only). So in conclusion(and let me know if you see it), I see neither a tailgate(which I realize the OP doesn't need) or a tailgate cylinder, if that is indeed what the OP needs. JP I'm thinking GM only but.....

Old 09-25-2008, 07:19 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Well, we do not know a year nor if there is anything special about the tailgate... THIS PAGE shows the 1st gen handles...

Old 09-25-2008, 07:54 AM

very interesting-I stand corrected. I see(and currently need one although I imagine that the tailgate cylinder comes with a key that won't match the door/glovebox key but and the $ savings....can live with that! GM for $50 more will key it to match-that is if someone hasn't changed any other lock cylinders and didn't key to match them.) Anyhow-Kyle(or anyone) do you see that the tailgate itself is available-again never saw a S series tailgate(83-94) from anyone but GM. Although I'm sure in time(if not currently) someone will. JP

Old 09-25-2008, 08:00 AM
Administrator

I do not believe I have ever seen the endgate produced in the aftermarket... If you were in need of one though, I would contact s10warehouse on ebay. I have bought things from him before that I could not find elsewhere at very reasonable prices.

Old 09-25-2008, 08:10 AM

thanks-I will keep that in mind.JP

Old 09-25-2008, 08:12 AM
Administrator

Also, the dealer or a lock smith may be able to recode the lock cylinder (regardless of source) to work with your other keys. I know this is possible with older trucks (I will be having it done on the rear hatch lock on my K5). I had it done on the glove box and center console lock cylinders in my Chevelle 10+ years ago by a local lock smith.

Old 09-25-2008, 08:23 AM

As I mentioned a couple of messages up-the dealer can key it to match assuming that someone hasn't changed out any other locks...in other words the dealer will key it to original specs(cuts). But if someone has for instance changed the outer door lock cylinders and didn't key em to match for whatever reason, well GM's going to set it up to the original cut-which in this example wouldn't match. JP PS I guess(although never did this) GM(or locksmith) could look at your existing key-figure the number(depth of the key cuts) and match the existing key in case you knew that the locks had been changed. Well...enough time spent on this subject..everyone on to more important things!

Quick Reply: Liftgate Key Cylinder/Lock