1st Generation S-series (1983-1994) Tech Discuss 1st generation S-series (1983-1994) general tech topics here.

Lifting my 2wd Need help and tips.

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2015, 09:12 PM
Chevyman61 is on a distinguished road
Default Lifting my 2wd Need help and tips.

Hey guys im planning on lifting my 89 s15 jimmy very soon. I havent bought the parts yet cause i want to make sure i do my budget right. Im doing 3 inch lift spindles in the front with 3 inch coil spring spacers and a 5 inch flip kit with 2 inch lift shackles in the rear. My questions are: 1. Will i need to adjust my brake lines and/or get them extended? If so where can i find the right lines and such to do so? 2. With a flip kit and new shackles will i have to worry about adjusting my pinion angle( moving the rear end back, or changing the angle of the pinion? If so how much? And 3. Ive been noticing alot of rear axle play ( back lash) while i shift or down shift i can literally hear the gears mesh very hard in my rear end and i dont mean it as in theyre humming or screaming etc. So ive been thinking of upgrading to a 12 bolt from of my stock 10 bolt 3.42 posi rear end. Thoughts on this, is it necessary or should i just go get another 10 bolt and call it a day. Thoughts, tips, anything will be helpful. Thanks.

Old 03-11-2015, 09:46 PM
lazyboyjake is on a distinguished road

I'm not positive on that year model since mine is newer, but I think 3" springs are going to be kind of hard to put in there, but that's just my opinion. And for the brake lines, you will need to extend them. A simple search on ebay will get you some. Everything else, I'm not sure on but make sure you post pics!

Old 03-12-2015, 01:59 PM

Yea the spring spacers will probably be a pain. And ive been looking for extended brake lines but everything i find is for jeeps and dodges etc, and when i do find a kit its like upwards of $100. So guess ill just have to keep looking, maybe someone has done this before and can give me a link or a new idea on how to do the brake lines.

Old 03-12-2015, 02:07 PM
lazyboyjake is on a distinguished road

An easy way to extend the brake lines will be to leave them unbolted from the frame, but I doubt it will gain you the length you need. And this is the guide I used when putting in my spring spacers, Pics and steps on how to install front drop springs. - S-10 Forum It was more difficult than the post makes it out to be, but that's probably from the added height instead of using drop springs. I don't know if you want to use that method since you're going to be replacing the spindles as well, but it's just an idea.

Old 03-13-2015, 03:23 PM

Just read that thread thatll be a big help when i do my spacers. And as far as the removing of the brackets that probably wont give me enough but thats a good tip for anyone doing like a 2-3 in lift. I have a couple different options that im going to pursue. I read that chevy lumina lines are longer and will work with a little modification to the female end; i thought about looking to see if pick up truck lines will work from like a 1500 some said 3500 lines worked; buying replacement lines and taking them to a shop and having them make new longer lines then returning the ones from the parts store; full size jimmy lines WONT work (for anyone using this to help) theyre not long enough i believe the spec said theyre shorter that the stock lines on the s15 jimmy( i may be mistaken) and lastly ordering new lines from Kore3.com so ill post my results on what worked for me hopefully it wont be buying $100 brake lines although kore3 makes some badass ones.