1st Generation S-series (1983-1994) Tech Discuss 1st generation S-series (1983-1994) general tech topics here.

the melencholy of electronics

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2009, 03:35 AM
PATCHtheGNOME is on a distinguished road
Angry the melencholy of electronics

hi, new to the forum....

so the other day i plug my cig lighter into the dash of my 86 s10 (v-6 2 wheel drive if it matters) and pretty much all of my electrical systems fry. if a cd is in my stereo, it turns on for 2 seconds then shuts off and repeats.the radio still works...as long as the door is closed and you do not go over 35 mph. my oil pressure, temp, and pretty sure my gas gauge (which is scary considering my job requires me to drive long distances) are all non responsive. my dome light does not turn on and the horn, instead of making the beep, makes the front left speaker make a loud clicking noise and makes the dome light flicker. as i mentioned earlier the radio does not work if the door is open and i dont mean it wont turn on, even the little red power light is out and the horn wont work either. I really dont have the cash to take it to a shop so any adivse would be keen. ive already tried a battery reboot and that didnt work. please help me out!

Old 05-11-2009, 10:43 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Your problem is simple to diagnose, but not so simple to repair. You have some fried wiring under the dash. Some how something has overloaded and melted the wiring together affecting all of the systems you have noted.

By far the easiest way to fix the issue is to pull an interior wiring harness from a junker. Remove your dash and replace the harness.

If that is not an option or prohibitive cost wise, you can attack it yourself with some loose wire and butt connectors (I recommend the ones from 3M with the heat shrink tubing on them). Be patient and take your time.

Old 05-11-2009, 01:02 PM
boomtruck97 is an unknown quantity at this point

x2 - burnt up in the dash, and the radio sounds like its shorting out a bit so you may want ot pull it out till its all fixed or it ccould be done soon too.

it will be a pain inthe butt but thats the skinny. you could do it in a weekend but i suggest that you pull the front seats and the dash for wiring ease. then get a roll, or 2, of wire and the 3M connectors. Find the burnt up chunk of wire and start the party. just make sure you disconnect the battery first and take your time. if you rush and mess this all up - the truck wont work till it all gets repaired again.