1st Generation S-series (1983-1994) Tech Discuss 1st generation S-series (1983-1994) general tech topics here.

missing frount drive line?

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2009, 12:02 AM
Beginning Member
nsomnia_redline is on a distinguished road

i have a 1992 bravada and when i went to change the fuel filter i noticed that the front drive line was missing. what other vehicles can i get a new one from in the junk yard? other bravada only? what years? first gen? other gens?

cant find much data on my truck thanks.

Please dose anyone know if a blazer s-10 front drive shaft will work? a guy has one for free. i cant find any info on weather it would work!!!!????

Last edited by rriddle3; 04-25-2009 at 12:58 PM. Reason: CONSECUTIVE POSTS
Old 04-25-2009, 01:00 PM
BF Guru
rriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond repute

I'm not positive, but I don't see why it would not work. If it's free, there's nothing to lose.

Old 04-25-2009, 02:00 PM
Beginning Member

yeah, found one in a yard and checked it out. its a no go. but this rad has a 38" drive shaft for my truck. there is also a 36" how do i know what one fits my bravada? the data on this car is almost non existent. thanks.

Old 04-25-2009, 09:22 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

RockAuto.com shows two:

A-1 CARDONE Part # 659358 More Info {[Driveshaft/Prop Shaft Assembly] Reman.}
Front; w/26" Prop Shaft $268.79 $53.90 $322.69

A-1 CARDONE Part # 659356 More Info {[Driveshaft/Prop Shaft Assembly] Reman.}
Front; w/24 1/4" Prop Shaft $268.79 $53.90 $322.69

Man are those expensive!

You will need to find one from another AWD equiped truck. They are different than what is available in the regular 4wd vehicles.

Old 04-25-2009, 11:38 PM
Beginning Member

yeah i guess i asked for it. so i found one locally..... ONE!!!! but its now mine and on its way. used but $100$ based on your prices you found i would say i got a bargain. lol

so i guess this thread is closed till i get it Tuesday and find out its not the right one knock on wood.

thanks

Old 04-26-2009, 07:52 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Do let us know.

Old 04-26-2009, 04:35 PM
bandidolenny is on a distinguished road

Ok... how is he driving around with an "all wheel drive" Bravada and no front drive shaft? As with any all wheel drive, if you lift any one of the four tires with a jack, you aren't going anywhere. It would seem to me that as soon as it were put into gear the front "yoke" would just spin and the truck would not go anywhere.
Maybe the front yoke was held in place from spinning somehow... just a thought. lol

Old 04-26-2009, 05:24 PM
mech cb is on a distinguished road

I don't see why it wouldn't work..... as long as you have power going to your rear wheels you should have no problem. I don't even see how lifting a wheel would make the AWD not work. I've never worked on a car with AWD, but HMMWV's have it and they work just fine if you have to remove the front drive shaft.

Old 04-26-2009, 07:15 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by bandidolenny
Ok... how is he driving around with an "all wheel drive" Bravada and no front drive shaft? As with any all wheel drive, if you lift any one of the four tires with a jack, you aren't going anywhere. It would seem to me that as soon as it were put into gear the front "yoke" would just spin and the truck would not go anywhere.
Maybe the front yoke was held in place from spinning somehow... just a thought. lol
The early AWD models were a dedicated 30/70 torque split F/R. They can be driven without the front driveshaft, but it is not advised as it can cause the fluid to overheat and possibly roast the clutch pack.

Old 04-27-2009, 12:05 PM
bandidolenny is on a distinguished road

Oh ok, I didn't realise that there was a clutch in the single speed case.

Originally Posted by mech cb
I don't see why it wouldn't work..... as long as you have power going to your rear wheels you should have no problem. I don't even see how lifting a wheel would make the AWD not work. I've never worked on a car with AWD, but HMMWV's have it and they work just fine if you have to remove the front drive shaft.
If the differential in the t-case is open (no clutch pack) and if there is no posi unit in the front or rear diff... you can jack up any one wheel and all the power will go to the spinning wheel. (The vehicle will not go anywhere)
So if the front (or rear) shaft is removed, the disconnected yoke simply spins... unless there is a clutch in the case.

Quick Reply: missing frount drive line?