1st Generation S-series (1983-1994) Tech Discuss 1st generation S-series (1983-1994) general tech topics here.

My Generous Transfer Case

Old 03-01-2013, 01:56 AM
Toby Hanson will become famous soon enough
Default My Generous Transfer Case

Hi all,

I haven't been around much the past couple months. Winter is usually a slow time for me but January and February have been super busy this year. That's great because I like earning money but it also keeps me away from working on all of my Blazers and Jimmys which is my real raison d'etre.

In December I was working on my '98 Jimmy and fixed the transfer case input shaft seal and cleaned all the ATF from the vacuum lines and was just about to replace the rest of the front suspension components that were worn like control arm bushings, sway bar links, etc. I had to put that project aside because of all the work that came up for me after the first of the year. Because of the general wandering nature of the '98 I haven't been driving it. I've been driving my trusty '93 Jimmy.

Back in January I noticed the transmission was slow to engage in first gear so I checked the transmission fluid. It was low. I added some fluid to bring it up to proper level. I checked it again at the beginning of February and it was low again so I added more fluid. Today when I was changing oil I got curious about where all that ATF was going and I pulled the fill plug on the transfer case and the answer poured out all over my arm.

I know the input shaft seal is bad; I just replaced the same thing on my '98 back in December. I'm curious how soon I need to replace it. If I kept driving it this way would it damage anything? I have some other projects I need to take care of and I don't want to tackle this one for a couple of months at the very least. If I keep the ATF up to the proper level in the transmission and periodically drain the excess from the transfer case is that going to be a problem?

Old 03-01-2013, 09:14 AM
97cherryblazer will become famous soon enough97cherryblazer will become famous soon enough

Well i wouldn't drive it like that because you run the risk of destroying your t case, ATF doesn't belong in there, its not proper lubrication. I'm sure it will be alright for a little bit but you also don't want to get fluid in the vac lines on this one either.

Old 03-01-2013, 09:56 AM
Starting Member
Blazin00LT is on a distinguished road

Odd I filled my 04 s10 transfer case with atf. It was 3 button 4x4. If he has 4 button auto trak he's in for a world of ****.

Old 03-01-2013, 09:59 AM
97cherryblazer will become famous soon enough97cherryblazer will become famous soon enough

Really?? I always heard that you're never supposed to put atf in a t case, never understood why so maybe that was false info.

Old 03-01-2013, 11:17 AM
BF Veteran
chris015 has a spectacular aura aboutchris015 has a spectacular aura aboutchris015 has a spectacular aura about

on my 91 it called for atf. Not sure when they switched.

Old 03-01-2013, 10:07 PM
Banned
chestypuller can only hope to improve

if you dont use atf on these pump cases, then youll destory them with gear oil. ATF only if its a aluminum case with a pump. gear oil is TOO HEAVY for the pump in the case.

Old 03-01-2013, 10:19 PM
BF Guru
xgiovannix12 has a spectacular aura aboutxgiovannix12 has a spectacular aura about

Aft is only used in certain Transfer cases . Some transfer cases cant use atf and need a autotrac fluid from the dealer.

It all depends on transfer case... 233 and 231s take ATF 241s take atf too and the nv236 uses autotrac fluid.

Old 03-02-2013, 12:20 AM
Toby Hanson will become famous soon enough

This transfer case is definitely supposed to have ATF in it, just not so much of it. The fancy ones like my wife's 2000 Blazer have the special fluid in them. This is a two-speed case (I don't remember the number) and it uses ATF.

Old 03-02-2013, 10:04 AM
Starting Member
Blazin00LT is on a distinguished road

The NP8 or nv236 takes autotrak ii as does my 00 blazer. The 3 button ones take regular old atf.

Old 03-02-2013, 07:26 PM
ohsofly will become famous soon enoughohsofly will become famous soon enough

Well, when you find you have to add a litre to the trans, you could always dump the overfull litre out of the fill plug, then nothings going to get harmed... Use it to oil your driveway if you live in the country, or use it to start your campfires, or catch it and pour it back into the tranny...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: My Generous Transfer Case