1st Generation S-series (1983-1994) Tech Discuss 1st generation S-series (1983-1994) general tech topics here.

Need info please

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2007, 05:08 PM
BradZ01 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Need info please

Hi everyone. I just found this site today. I have been doing alot of reading and found a ton of good information. I have a 94 S10 Blazer with the W engine code. It has 78K miles on it and has been very well maintained and serviced. The FPR was my problem and I replaced it. 3 weeks after the fix it was running great and just out of nowhere died on me along the road. I had it towed to the shop and the mechanic told me to scrap it or plan on buying a new engine. I trailered it to a friends house and we started checking things. Upon pulling a sparkplug out, we had about a cup full of raw gasoline pour out of the hole. We removed the plenum and it turns out that the top torx screw for the FPR had snapped the head off, therefore breaking the seal at the o-ring and flooding all of the cylinders with gas. We drilled out the screw, and eventually reinstalled the FPR. It fired right up, but ran rough. We knew the plugs were fouled, so we got new ones and put in it. It is still running terrible. We removed the cat converter because I knew it was clogged partially. We have also put a new cap/rotor on it and a new coil. The new plugs dont look to bad. It is definitly running very rich and has a rough idle. Tried to drive it but it got worse and I wasnt sure I was going to make the mile trip back to his house it got so bad. Surging and sputtering like it was only running on about 4 cyl.

I have read alot about this spider and nut kit, but hate to spend the $300 if that isnt it. It has not run enough since rinstalling the FPR for the inside of the plenum to get dirty again, so I cant use the clean/dirty method for a diagnosis. How do I pressurize the fuel system with the plenum off? Is that just turning the key to "on". I think I need to check for fuel leaks inside there, but dont want to shower myself with gasoline. The new FPR has a 1 yr warranty. Maybe I should go get a new one? I did drop it while it was out if that could have messed up something inside of it? I am ata loss......can somebody help??

Thanks,
Brad

Old 08-24-2007, 11:23 AM
94blazer4.3ho is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: Need info please

The central port fule injector could be your problem, and probably is.I had a more mild problem like yours, turns out to be the injector. It cost $315 from Autozone.I would take back your fule pressor regulator, and just get the whole injector. hope this helps

Old 08-24-2007, 12:33 PM

Thanks for the reply. I was hoping not to have to spend that kind of money on it, but I need to do whatever it takes. I got this Blazer last February for free from a family member who was going to donate it to Goodwill for a tax write off, just because she had too many cars and needed to get rid of a few. It only had 73K on it and is loaded with everything. I had it shipped door to door from New Jersey to Indiana for $625.00, and have put a little into it for a few needed repairs, but I only have about $1000 invested, so I know it is worth fixing. I will check into the entire CPI unit. Thanks.

Old 08-24-2007, 12:37 PM
Starting Member
agent305 is an unknown quantity at this point

hey b4 you go buy an injector....why dont you check the egr valve. when my 94 was runnin rich, surging, and rough idle...the problem was there was a piece of crap stuck in the egr, i cleaned it out and the truck ran fine.
did it 2 more times to me within 3 years and i never bought a new egr, i just cleaned it, then finaly bought one of those gaskets with the screen on it, to prevent it from happening

Old 08-24-2007, 12:39 PM

Here are a few pics of my 1st automotive love, and of the Blazer I am beiginning to love to hate. I couldn't be happier having this Blazer to be my daily driver, I just need to resolve the issues so it will be trustworthy. But it is in excellent condition for a 94, and only 78K miles on it now.

edit-must have done something wrong, these links are not working for me?

*Combining Consecutive Posts*

Thanks. I will try that before I buy the other. Someone I work with said they didnt seem to think that would cause these problems, but it is definitly worth a try. I saw alot of posts on here talikng about cleaning the EGR's and that helping.

*EDIT by swartlkk* - Combining Consecutive Posts - Please use the edit feature to add additional information to your post if another member has yet to reply. If you have any questions, comments, or concerns, please PM me. Thanks! Oh and I also fixed your image tags... Our forum software does not understand tags with CAPS in them.

Old 08-24-2007, 12:48 PM
Starting Member
agent305 is an unknown quantity at this point

the only way i figured it out, was i had bought the injector, put it in, and it still ran like crap. thats when i took of the egr, the 1st time i bought one. the 2nd 3rd times...i just cleaned it out lol,

Old 08-24-2007, 01:01 PM

Thanks---I will definitly give it a try, what have I got to lose?

*Combining Consecutive Posts*

free post.

Trying to get those pics to work. I read the main msg about posting and resized them for the msg baord, only selected 5 pics, and the link works, but no images show up. Ugh. I hate computers sometimes.

*EDIT by swartlkk* - Combining Consecutive Posts - Please use the edit feature to add additional information to your post if another member has yet to reply. If you have any questions, comments, or concerns, please PM me. Thanks!

Old 08-24-2007, 07:56 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

I fixed your image tags. Our forum software can not handle the CAPS in the tags that photobucket creates.

Your truck looks to be in excellent condition!! Now, onto your problem. When the FPR crapped out and flooded the cylinders, it is possible that one or more of the cylinders hydrolocked. Gasoline is incompressible unlike the fuel/air mixture that is supposed to be in the cylinder. If hydrolock occurs, catastrophic damage follows... I recommend you do a compression check on all cylinders to make sure that you don't have a serious problem in one or more of the cylinders.

Good luck and keep us posted!!

Old 08-24-2007, 09:48 PM
94blazer4.3ho is an unknown quantity at this point

I also had to replace my EGR valve sorryI didnt think of that with your problem. One more thing is your blazer giving codes(check engine codes)?If so get them read, you can do it your self with a paper clip. If you get code 32 that is a problem with your EGR if you get any other codes let me know andI have a list. Some problems happen with the EGR valves, there is a 6 stage test you can do on them. My EGR failed the therd test, soI replaced it any way.

Old 08-24-2007, 11:40 PM
lennyblazer is on a distinguished road

Nice looking Z28 and very nice first gen blazer, that is sweet looking and I have never seen one like that before. Very cool and nice low miles. Keep up the good work, and I hope you can get your problem fixed, swartlkk knows what he is talking about, as do many others on this forum.

Quick Reply: Need info please