1st Generation S-series (1983-1994) Tech Discuss 1st generation S-series (1983-1994) general tech topics here.

Need some urgent advice, please!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2006, 08:40 PM
neogeo92 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Need some urgent advice, please!!!!

I have a '94 Blazer with a 4.3 out of a '92, vin w. I have had gas in my oil, so I replaced the spider,nut kit and intake gasket. I still have gas in the oil. What else could be causing this? I have thought and thought about it, and am at my wits end with it. Please let me know. Thanks,

Tim

Old 04-27-2006, 03:17 PM
Retired Super Moderator
Dory is a jewel in the roughDory is a jewel in the roughDory is a jewel in the rough
Default RE: Need some urgent advice, please!!!!

could be a cracked head, a bad head gasket... usually its the spider though... [&o]

did you use a new spider or a used one? the regulator goes bad in them and leaks fuel which would blow past the rings.... into the oil pan.

Old 04-27-2006, 03:27 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Gas in oil as to do with ONLY the parts that you listed. Head or head gasket has nothing to do with the fuel system.

Did you swap anything over to the new spider or were only brand new parts put into the intake?

The main failure of the central port injection (CPI) system is the fuel pressure regulator (FPR) blowing. When it goes, it dumps raw fuel into the intake that then washes down past the rings in the cylinders on (IIRC) the drivers side and into the oil as Dory has stated. If the FPR was reused, it could have been your one and only problem. The Nut Kit (internal lines) is generally replaced whenever the spyder is serviced because they have a tendancy to fail after the spyder has been moved around a bit during the repair of it's various components.

If everything is new in the intake side of the fuel system, then something wasn't put together correctly.

Old 04-27-2006, 04:36 PM
Retired Super Moderator
Dory is a jewel in the roughDory is a jewel in the roughDory is a jewel in the rough

whoops... well at least part of my memory was right? [X(]

Old 04-28-2006, 12:56 AM

Ok, I double checked everything, and it is all installed correctly. Yes, I put in a new spyder, and nut kit. It is still getting gas into the oil, and now has a slight rod knock noise. I dont know if I should rebuild the motor, or get a remanufactured.

Tim

Old 04-28-2006, 01:02 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

If everything is new, something isn't installed correctly. Plain and simple. The fuel lines run up to the nut kit where they pass into the intake manifold to the spyder. The ONLY place where fuel can be leaking from in that quantity is from either the spyder, FPR, or the internal lines (aka nut kit).

One of the nice things about the CPI motors is that you can pressurize the fuel system with the upper plenum off. This would allow you to see exactly where the fuel is coming from. Just don't try to start the motor with the top cover off.

A rod knock would be caused by running it too long with fuel in the oil. The bearings could just be removed, but you may need to grind the crank and use oversized bearings if the crank was damaged too much.

Old 04-28-2006, 01:43 AM

Thanks for the advice! I didnt realize it could be pressure tested with the intake off. I will give that a try tomorrow at work. I noticed today, coming home that it is sporadically making a "rubbing" noise sometimes when I let off the gas at about 60 to 70 mph. The noise fluxuates with the engine speed, and when the speed is lowered dramatically, it stops. I have no idea what that is about, but it didnt start that untill I installed the spider and nut kit.

Tim

Old 04-28-2006, 08:06 AM
Administrator

I would not be driving it if you are getting fuel in your oil. You can spin a bearing QUICK when the oil is thinned out by the fuel. Also, depending on the extent of the leak, you could possibly hydro lock a cylinder and blow a piston.

If when you turn the key to the 'on' position (to pressurize the system) you see fuel dripping or spraying out, that is your problem area.

How fast is the oil filling up with fuel?

Old 04-28-2006, 10:10 AM

Its a bad deal, cause its the only car I have to get to work. The gas in the oil, is just a tiny bit past the full mark on the dipstick. I have been keeping a close eye on it, and hopefully will get it fixed today.

Tim

Old 04-28-2006, 10:51 AM
Administrator

I'd go grab yourself a case or two of the cheapest oil you can. If you have to drive it, drain the oil every night (or every other if it's only a little bit). At first I thought you said it was filling the crankcase in short order. This would be VERY bad to run the motor if this was the case.