1st Generation S-series (1983-1994) Tech Discuss 1st generation S-series (1983-1994) general tech topics here.

Nobody Carries Coolant Temp. SWITCH? Help!

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2009, 01:02 PM
Beginning Member
ClueMeIn1989 is on a distinguished road
Exclamation Nobody Carries Coolant Temp. SWITCH? Help!

I've been to every part store around here, and nobody seems to carry the Coolant Temperature Sender SWITCH. I have already replaced the SENSOR under the thermostat housing, but now i need the sender by the exhaust manifold, it's just that all the part stores carry is the sensor.... My temp guage isn't working so I'm changing out these two sensor/switches to see if I can get the guage to work again. Any answers? Thanks!

Old 06-10-2009, 01:15 PM
BF Guru
rriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond repute

You can always get one from the Chevy dealer.

Old 06-10-2009, 05:43 PM
mr.vls will become famous soon enough

I am not sure what you need. The sender on the engine block is very common. There are two types, one for a light and one for a gage. I am not sure what you mean by switch. Then there is the temperature gage or light in the dash.

Old 06-10-2009, 05:57 PM
Beginning Member

I meant the one for the guage is the one I'm looking for. I've already replaced the sensor under the thermostat housing, but I'm told there is a 2nd one for just the temp guage somewhere?

Old 06-10-2009, 08:56 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

I cannot remember if the one for the gauge is located on the driver side or passenger side head, but it would be located between the exhaust ports and I think slightly higher on the side of the head.

As stated, this is a VERY common part. I cannot believe you are having trouble finding it... Most likely reason is that the people you are relying on to locate the part are clueless...

Looking on Autozone.com, it looks like the sensor at the thermostat is Duralast PN SU109. The temperature switch is PN TU152.

From AdvanceAutoParts.com - WT3000Z - Temperature Sender - W/ Gauge (there is a different PN for w/ light)

NapaOnline.com - ECHTS4019 for the temperature gauge switch

Old 06-11-2009, 12:00 AM
Beginning Member

Great! Thank you! I'll be ordering one from one of these sites real soon.

Old 06-11-2009, 07:40 AM
mr.vls will become famous soon enough

When you pick it up get some thread sealant as well. When you remove the old one anti-freeze is going to leak out unless you drain off some coolant. What I usually do is have the replacement one out of the box with thread sealant already on. (It helps if the engine is cold). Remove the old one and as quick as possible install the replacement. You should not lose very much coolant. Once installed connect the wire harness. You could put a catch pan underneath the car to catch whatever leaks out.

Old 06-11-2009, 12:11 PM
Beginning Member

alright so Advanced gave me the wrong one, but swartlkk's numbers lead me to the exact part at autozone. haha! So I have the part in hand with a new role of teflon tape to seal the threads, all I got to do now is wait for the engine to cool down then I'll begin. I grounded the wire and pigtail to make sure the guage works and it does, it pegged all the way up to the top.. I'll let eveyone know how it went! Thanks alot guys I appreciate the help.

Old 06-11-2009, 02:18 PM
Beginning Member

I did it!!!! It's fixed and works 100%

Old 06-11-2009, 07:50 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ClueMeIn1989
I did it!!!! It's fixed and works 100%
Good deal!

Quick Reply: Nobody Carries Coolant Temp. SWITCH? Help!