1st Generation S-series (1983-1994) Tech Discuss 1st generation S-series (1983-1994) general tech topics here.

Olds Bravada Help Needed Please!

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2008, 06:58 PM
NC93BLAZERLT is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Olds Bravada Help Needed Please!

Ok, my landlord wants me to check out her truck. It's a 93 Bravada w/4.3 Vortec It's idling weird as hell, and almost dies at lights, but when it's being driven, it runs fine, it doesn't miss a beat, until you get out of the gas, then it chug-a-lugs again. I told her it was either a vacuum leak somewhere, or sensor, e.g. TPS, or idle sensor? I haven't run into any problems similiar in my Blazer, but I know it's not fuel issues, or anything like that. Her coil pack has been replaced, fuel injection system replaced, etc. Any suggestions as to what it may be?

Old 12-08-2008, 07:04 PM
Beginning Member
green75 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: Olds Bravada Help Needed Please!

thats the problem im having with mine to.i have to get a distributor.check fuel pressure.plug gap,wires,check the air hoses goin into the intake by the dcap.

Old 12-08-2008, 07:54 PM
Peru Motors is an unknown quantity at this point

Any service engine soon light on? JP PS-not what she said but what YOU have seen?

Old 12-08-2008, 09:31 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Could be a vacuum leak, a clogged EGR valve, a clogged IAC valve, or a few other things, but those are the major ones.

Old 12-08-2008, 10:16 PM

ORIGINAL: Peru Motors

Any service engine soon light on? JP PS-not what she said but what YOU have seen?
Engine light on... I suggested she go to a place to diagnose the light... Comes on after a bit of driving... JP? Please excuse my ignorance... What I have seen is described in the OP. I drove it.

ORIGINAL: green75

thats the problem im having with mine to.i have to get a distributor.check fuel pressure.plug gap,wires,check the air hoses goin into the intake by the dcap.
As I stated before, no fuel issues... I suspect if the FPR was malfunctioning, I believe it would be evident upon giving it the gas while driving... Am I wrong??? But I will take the suggestion and check any lines into the intake as suggested. Thanx. Any other possible suggestions?

Old 12-09-2008, 06:05 AM
Peru Motors is an unknown quantity at this point

You need to get it scanned somewhere to see what the light(clue) is on for. My money- based on your description is an EGR issue that if taken to an honest/knowledgeable person-more than likely can be removed(slightly tough) and cleaned and lubed(to a degree-not too expensive). That may or may not be it but fortunately there is a light on which should give us some direction. One last thing, depending how much(cheap or expensive)-will determine many things. If the Bravada is cheap enough, you're more willing to 'roll the dice' and take a chance that it is a minor issue but if she wants retail for it(and unfortunently you are there and we are here)....maybe you walk. Jerry

Old 12-09-2008, 08:43 AM
Leeann_Bravada is an unknown quantity at this point

It's a 93, so you can use the paperclip trick instead of getting it scanned. Bend a paperclip into a U shape and stick the ends into the two upper right-hand ports of the OBD I connector under the dash, then turn on the key. The SES light will flash...count them and post here what it is.

I would be willing to bet you will get a 32, which is the EGR code, though. It will start with code 12 and flash it 3 times, then go on to the next and flash it 3 times, etc. When it goes back to 12, you are done.

Old 12-11-2008, 11:00 AM

She got her EGR replaced in 05... But it was bad, clogged up. It's being cleaned out now, will update afterwards. Thank you so far for the reponse.

Old 12-12-2008, 01:56 PM

It was the EGR valve... It got cleaned, and all is good! Thanx to all.

Old 12-24-2008, 04:57 PM

OK, turns out the EGR valve being cleaned out was only a band aid. It's running like crap now along with a terrible burning smell to boot... ?

Quick Reply: Olds Bravada Help Needed Please!