1st Generation S-series (1983-1994) Tech Discuss 1st generation S-series (1983-1994) general tech topics here.

Passenger side leak

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2011, 05:11 AM
Beginning Member
Meganutter is on a distinguished road
Default Passenger side leak

Hello all,

Its been a while since i posted here but i had other stuff to worry about in the past few months.

I have had a leak on my '92 S10 from the passenger side. After a lot of examining i found out the water came in from the AC vent behind the kick panel. Looking some further into it i have seen that if you open the hood you can look up from the open vent and see the sky. I 'fixed' it by using kit to seal the vent but this way i have effectively disabled my AC, seeing it is becoming warmer here i'd love to have it fixed sometime.

Is there supposed to be some plating that separates the engine compartment from the AC\Vent?
Can someone perhaps show me pictures of the fender on the passenger side how it should look behind the AC unit? i got the feeling someone took out a piece of my fenderpanel.

Old 05-05-2011, 10:19 AM
BF Veteran
chris015 has a spectacular aura aboutchris015 has a spectacular aura aboutchris015 has a spectacular aura about

im not sure where exactly you are talking about. Id grab a pic of my 91' if i knew where you were referring too.

Old 05-05-2011, 02:14 PM
Beginning Member

its the 'innards' of this panel im interested in
http://i56.tinypic.com/33mqsex.jpg

if you look (well, i had to feel) inside the hole in this pic there is (what i think) a lot of platework missing which shields the outside air from the AC vent
http://i52.tinypic.com/16honiw.jpg

The water runs down the hole in the following pic, straight into the AC vent.
http://i54.tinypic.com/2rzxn5s.jpg

hope this helps a bit...

Old 05-06-2011, 07:54 PM
HIGH RIDER is on a distinguished road

I just looked at my 92 and If I'm not mistaken behind the kick panel is a baffle that opens and closes to draw in cool air so it could be that not closing.

Old 05-07-2011, 04:22 AM
Beginning Member

thats right, but my problem is when i pour water over my hood (closed) and i turn on the AC (which opens that hatch) water starts gushing in.

As a temp fix i stuck some kit in it to close it permanently (even when closed it leaked some) but i would like to use my AC again before summer hits completely. What i am interested in is: is there any panel that separates the engine compartment from said latch?

Old 05-07-2011, 05:54 PM
HIGH RIDER is on a distinguished road

I just took mine all apart and there was no kind of shield to prevent water from getting in so my only thought is you could have a hole somewhere in there or if there is any drain holes in there that might be clogged with leaves and other garbage making it fill up.

Old 05-08-2011, 05:35 AM
Beginning Member

the drain holes have been cleaned out last time but i am not sure where holes should be then...

Old 05-08-2011, 03:49 PM
radiokid is on a distinguished road

I am having the same issue, however on the drivers side.
When it rains, my drivers side floorboard gets flooded.

I thought it was the windshield leaking because when it pours and i drive it in the rain my digital dash gets fogged up behind the glass and my gauges sometimes changing and random numbers display on them.

I noticed if i take the kick panel off on the drivers side by the fuse panel, the side there is soaking wet like water is leaking down from the top near the windshield.

I am not sure if there is any type of vents up there behind the dash or some way water can get in. I tried using sealant to seal the windshield however its still leaking.

Old 05-10-2011, 01:04 AM
Gimpy Blazer is on a distinguished road

On the left side there is a cavity with a drain. They get pretty full of stuff. On the right there is a vacuum actuator to let in fresh air when the A/C is in NORM. Access is under the cowl (between windshield and hood.