1st Generation S-series (1983-1994) Tech Discuss 1st generation S-series (1983-1994) general tech topics here.

please forgive me, i forgot K.i.S.S.

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2012, 01:32 PM
Beginning Member
cardude59 is on a distinguished road
Default please forgive me, i forgot K.i.S.S.

ladies and gentlemen of the forum. i have commimtted a grevious and stupid error this past 8 days and need to tell you about it and hope it will help some one else from committing the same mistake. as most of you know we here in the upper midwest had a hum-dinger of a snow storm last thurs. well 2 of my 3 vehicals started just fine and one did not. it was my 93 blazer. i have had a hard starting problem with it when the temp gets below 40 degrees. it would crank and stumble and studder and flood out and after 3-4 tries i could get it started. it would then run fine. i have checked the forum for advise and found plenty there to help me. i started by testing the fuel pressure and found that it would run up ot 54 and then drop back to 48 and running was around 46 psi. i replaced the fuel pump and it got 2 psi better, but still too low. i then replaced the fuel pressure regulator. and got it adjusted to 61 psi and dropped back and held 55 psi. running it around 55 psi and goes up on accell, just like it should. well it was still giving me fits tring to get it started when cold. i then replaced the ect sensor thinking it could be reading too cold or warm and therefore not giving the right fuel load to start it. this did not help.( i am tearing my hair out at this point.) i talked to a few car friends and they were stumped also. one said that i would kick my self when i did correct the problem because it would be something simple and stupid that i had over looked. but what the hell could it be?!?!?! i have replaced the plugs with ac delco . i have replaced the fuel filter (this was done last spring as regular maint.) what am i missing??!?!?! then it hit me, i had not changed or checked the cap, rotor and wires since last spring-15,000 mile ago. i went the the store and got these things and in the blowing snow and 15 degree temps,10 mins at a time i started to change these things out. i found 2 plug wires with damaged boots and the cap looked like something had s$%t in it!. when i finished up and tried the truck it fired right up and ran perfect. 2 days and 2 very cold hands and i forgot the most important thing that any mechanic worth his wrenches should have foremost in his or her mind---K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Stupid!!! i forgot to check the basics first. i jumped right to step 4 bypassing 1,2 &3 . please let this tail of cold and woe help someone else from going though is termoil. always start with the basics. thank you for reading this cardude59

Old 12-25-2012, 08:59 PM
10-78 edac is on a distinguished road

Old 12-26-2012, 12:29 PM
Starting Member
serrasalmus is on a distinguished road

i think we have all been there at least once, but u did get it figured out so a win for you. and u can send some of that snow this way

Old 12-26-2012, 02:18 PM
Twip will become famous soon enough

i used to have a 700r4 and i was getting this clicking noise weather it was in gear or not. so i pulled the trans and had it rebuilt, pulled the motor and changed the pan gasket and front and rear main seals. (just in case) so i get the trans back after $1150 with a new torque converter and get everything re-installed. after a few choice words with my truck and myself ever bolt got put back in. i hit the key and she fired right up. sounded great besides the clicking noise that was still there. talk to a buddy of mine and he asked about the starter. so i changed it and no more clicking noise.....great! spend about 1500 to find out that it was the starter the whole time.