1st Generation S-series (1983-1994) Tech Discuss 1st generation S-series (1983-1994) general tech topics here.

Please help

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2018, 11:50 PM
COlsen is on a distinguished road
Default Please help

Please help.. 91 4.3L cluster panel doesn’t light up gauges don’t work. Vehicle doesn’t seem to have the ***** you would expect a 4.3L v6 to have. Barely touches 55 on flat surfaces and don’t even get me started on hills. Replaced the cat converter. I’m stumped.

Old 07-07-2018, 11:52 PM
BF Veteran
christine_208 will become famous soon enough

Any error codes? Is the transmission working correctly? Is the parking brake fully disengaging?

What is your history with this vehicle? Is it new to you? Do you know if the symptoms came on suddenly or gradually?

Old 07-07-2018, 11:59 PM
COlsen is on a distinguished road

I purchased it last weekend, previous owner said it has 30,000 miles on engine swap and nothing was wrong with it, I’ve always been interested in cars but never had the time growing up to fully dive into them so I took this on as my project to learn more as it’s a pretty badass liking vehicle that I want to make my baby. Symptoms have been there since I bought it on top of ac not working.. Figured it was just the cat.. parking brake seems to fully disengage. Father says tranny may be the problem with the engine swap and haven’t taken it in to get engine codes.

the only things I can really find wrong with it that shock me is the performance and ac. As well as some other undercarriage issues like tie rods

Old 07-08-2018, 12:11 AM
BF Veteran

Originally Posted by COlsen
I purchased it last weekend, previous owner said it has 30,000 miles on engine swap and nothing was wrong with it, I’ve always been interested in cars but never had the time growing up to fully dive into them so I took this on as my project to learn more as it’s a pretty badass liking vehicle that I want to make my baby. Symptoms have been there since I bought it on top of ac not working.. Figured it was just the cat.. parking brake seems to fully disengage. Father says tranny may be the problem with the engine swap and haven’t taken it in to get engine codes.

the only things I can really find wrong with it that shock me is the performance and ac. As well as some other undercarriage issues like tie rods
If you plan to spend time and effort on your new rig, then it would be well worth it to purchase both the Haines or Chilton manuals AND a copy of the official GM Service Manual (hard-copy or on CD). When I had a '92 I had those manuals and now with my '99 I have them too. The GM manuals are invaluable although they suggest using tools that most of us will not have. Still they give you insight into what is going on and help with troubleshooting.

For your case, it might also be worth handing it over to a local mechanic to have him (or her ) do a thorough check of all of the systems. This will give you a checklist of things to fix and an idea of what needs to be done and in what order. It'll definitely take some of the guess-work out it. Also, with a vehicle in which more than one system could be malfunctioning, it can be hard for a home mechanic to figure out exactly what is going on, especially if the history of the symptoms is not known.

As for your specific issues, a blocked catalytic converter I've heard can cause loss of performance. If the transmission was bad, you would likely see that the engine seems to rev on its own when it shifts to a higher gear. This slipping in the 3/4 clutch packs is a common failure mode.

Look for posts on the forum for how to check if the catalytic converter is plugged. I seem to remember something about taking out the oxygen sensors and measuring the pressures.

Good Luck and be sure to ask for more help.

Old 07-08-2018, 12:12 AM
BF Veteran

BTW, you can fix the AC later. It is not that hard but you must do a thorough job of it or otherwise you'll just be replacing the compressor in a short time and/or having to recharge the system repeatedly.

Old 07-08-2018, 07:22 AM
BF Veteran
newguy will become famous soon enoughnewguy will become famous soon enough

I would look at the cat also

Old 07-08-2018, 08:15 AM
2001ZR2 is on a distinguished road

From reading this thread, I would say Christine_208 has it right. You need to diagnose the truck then decide how to proceed.

First check all your fluids...make sure something isn't low.

Then look at the engine bay and under the dash as it sounds like things are not connected correctly i.e. the dash lights not working and gauges not working perhaps check the fuse block. Look at the codes but actually make sure the plug wires are correctly install i.e. right firing order and not burned and shorting out. Check the air filter to see it's dirty. Start basic and then get some information and this board can help.

Has the previous owner installed an aftermarket stereo or alarm system? Is the truck in 4WD all the time?

These trucks will run even if things are done wrong as I have found out with my ZR2 from the tow lot auction. I swear a previous owner was on meth with a power steering pump not bolted up fully, creative belt routing to cover the broken front bearing in the PS pump and the transmission rebuild that had rookie mistakes and an input shell from a 700R4.