1st Generation S-series (1983-1994) Tech Discuss 1st generation S-series (1983-1994) general tech topics here.

Reaplcing Ball Joints

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2006, 02:28 AM
BF Veteran
Hanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: Reaplcing Ball Joints

Big hammer and cold chisel. Build them muscles and wear glooves. I have missed before, it makes you gun shy the next time.

Did you get r done?

Ya know, since you removed the tierod end, its not much more for a new one. Since you need to get an alignment now that you removed the tierod ends, you might as well replace both of them, plus the idler. About the only thing left is new shocks, unit bearings, caliper, brake hose, rotor, and new brake pads. You got it all apart anyways. What's another couple hundred bucks?

Old 09-06-2006, 08:08 PM
88s10Blazer is an unknown quantity at this point

Its a 4x4 20blazer. I got it done now, I had to hitch a ride to work today. Here's a couple pictures of my brother and I and of the old ball joint. The ball joint is beyond bad.

Old 09-06-2006, 08:24 PM
mandi is an unknown quantity at this point

AWSOME! The pics look like mine did 2 years ago. Finally I know im not the only one whos had the ball showing from where it shouldnt be. Now out of curiosity when should they be changed again?

Old 09-06-2006, 08:40 PM
88s10Blazer is an unknown quantity at this point

Maybe when they look like that again? I have no idea, I'de like to know the same thing. When I get some more money i'm just gonna replace the other 3 and be done with it, because my upper ball joint's boot is ripped.

Old 09-06-2006, 10:44 PM
Starting Member
Aquahallic is an unknown quantity at this point

what all on a 95 blazer has to come off to do the uppers and lowers??? lookin' at alldata it doesn't show anything else comin' off but the ball joints themselves??

Old 09-06-2006, 11:03 PM
DetroitMuscle is an unknown quantity at this point

Im in the same boat, 92 4x4 bad ball joints BUT How long has it made noise? they will last a while making noise like clicks and crap but get em done fast, I was quoted $550. for new uppers and lowers with an alignment.

Old 09-06-2006, 11:19 PM
mandi is an unknown quantity at this point

How do you know if they are STARTING to go bad? I know what the end result is with them being so beat up. My question is...Should they be replaced every year? Every 6 years? Or are they something you change out even if they ARENT bad?

Old 09-07-2006, 12:51 AM
BF Veteran
Hanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond repute

First off.

NEVER and I MEAN NEVER, EVER, WORK UNDER A VEHICLE ON A JACK!!!!!!!!!!!

I see a jack stand in the 1st pic, NOT IN USE. Only takes one little slip and that truck would have fallen on someones head. That would have been a prime Darwin award winner. Please tell me the another jack stand was in use just of out the pic.

To answer the repeated question.
How to tell when a ball joint goes bad??
Simple, jack the front end off the ground and place it on JACK STANDS!!!!

Grab the wheel in the 12 o'clock and 6 o'clock positions, now rock it up and down lightly, is it loose?
Now grab it in the 3 o'clock and 9 o'clock positions and rock it side to side, is it loose?

Up and down loose is typically bearings.
Side to side loose is typically ball joints, or tierod ends. To verify which you have to crawl under the truck (it is on jack stands right?)and look at the ball joints while someone else rocks it side to side, it will be obvious if the ball joint is loose, or if the tierod end is loose.

Old 09-07-2006, 01:26 AM
20Blazer00 is an unknown quantity at this point

I suspect that if they had a jack stand it was under the frame behind his helper, because he needed the front area to get at the parts put he really did not need to be on his back to replace these...

Old 09-07-2006, 01:52 AM
cmd93555 is an unknown quantity at this point

You probley wont lose a wheel. But your tires will wear very quickly. It is a safty hazerd, and you should get them replaced A.S.A.P.
Your blazer also has a lift kit this can cause C.V. joint damage. If the front wheels have to much downward travel. So have your tek check that out as well. I am very knowledgable with blazers. so if you need details just let me know

Quick Reply: Reaplcing Ball Joints