1st Generation S-series (1983-1994) Tech Discuss 1st generation S-series (1983-1994) general tech topics here.

Reaplcing Ball Joints

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2006, 11:51 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: Reaplcing Ball Joints

Not a problem! We're here to help!

Old 09-09-2006, 04:09 AM
BF Veteran
Hanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond repute

No sweat mandy, we were all in your shoes once before too.

Old 09-09-2006, 10:40 AM
Starting Member
Aquahallic is an unknown quantity at this point

well I have one popping... confirmed it yesterday... I pulled into a parking space in the garage at work that has walls on both sides so I can hear EVERYTHING REAL GOOD went to back out... and heard it... AND felt it under my left foot... on a 95 blazer what all is gonna have to come off to get to the ball joints on here and do I have to unload the tortion bars and all??

Old 09-09-2006, 01:08 PM
DetroitMuscle is an unknown quantity at this point

ORIGINAL: mandi

Thank you everyone with info and not lauphing at me

Who said I wasnt laughing???? Kidding, no problem sharing is caring and thats what being an AMERICAN is all aboot,eh about.

Old 04-23-2008, 11:03 AM
Psychropod is an unknown quantity at this point

ORIGINAL: Hanr3

First off.

NEVER and I MEAN NEVER, EVER, WORK UNDER A VEHICLE ON A JACK!!!!!!!!!!!

I see a jack stand in the 1st pic, NOT IN USE. Only takes one little slip and that truck would have fallen on someones head. That would have been a prime Darwin award winner. Please tell me the another jack stand was in use just of out the pic.
Hanr, I was thinking the same thing when I saw the pix! LMAO

But seriously, it wouldn't have been funny if something had happened. One of my friends is dead today because he worked under his car without stands. And yes, I did see that you guys did use one. Even so, it can't hurt to remind people again to use good safety procedures.

ORIGINAL: Aquahallic

well I have one popping... confirmed it yesterday... I pulled into a parking space in the garage at work that has walls on both sides so I can hear EVERYTHING REAL GOOD went to back out... and heard it... AND felt it under my left foot... on a 95 blazer what all is gonna have to come off to get to the ball joints on here and do I have to unload the tortion bars and all??
So if they're going bad, they make a popping noise? When does this happen? While braking? Randomly? I need to know, because I think mine is making some weird noises, but I don't know if it's because of the ball joints. I know this thread is old, but it's the most recent one on the subject that actually has a little detail on how to replace them. Thanks to everybody for any help you may have.

Old 05-02-2008, 12:21 AM
BF Veteran
Hanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond repute

They like to pop around corners, through pot holes, while braking, anytime there is a change in directional force and you hear a pop. Tiime to replace them. They will last a while so its not typically an immediate thing, like hte next day, but within the month.

Typically the early warning signs is cracks in the rubber boots. Failure to add grease will lead to premature failure as well. My '93 has the original ball joints and it has 211,000 miles. My '00 has the original ball joints and it has 155,000 miles. Proper maintenance and avoidning the big pot holes does wonders for suspension parts. change that wheel backspacing or do a torsion bar crank to fit bigger tires will also eat ball joints. But hey, its only money right.

Old 05-02-2008, 06:51 AM
mr.vls will become famous soon enough

If you know you have bad ball joints i would replace them at the earliest opportunity. You never know when you are going to have a catastrophic failure. If a ball joint break you will lose control of the vehical and crash. It may be at slow speed but you might be going 80 MPH on the interstate. My dad had a ball joint break going 30 mph and crashed into a parked car. No injuries at the time but you are taking chances when you are driving with a known faulty ball joint.