1st Generation S-series (1983-1994) Tech Discuss 1st generation S-series (1983-1994) general tech topics here.

Reaplcing Ball Joints

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2006, 02:10 PM
88s10Blazer is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Reaplcing Ball Joints

I took the blazer into the shop today and he said the right ball joints were totally shot. How critical are these to replace? What do they do excatly? I know their pretty cheap, but I don't have to extra money right this second... thanks in advance.

Old 09-05-2006, 02:36 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: Reaplcing Ball Joints

The ball joints basically hold the wheel on... They are the connection between the upper/lower A-arms and the steering knuckle. If/When one of those lets go, you are looking at some pretty serious damage to the rest of the truck.

Old 09-05-2006, 02:49 PM

Is their a way I can just let it hold on for a couples weeks, like just take it easy on my driving or anything? Avoiding bumps or anything?

Old 09-05-2006, 04:15 PM
20Blazer00 is an unknown quantity at this point

ORIGINAL: 88s10Blazer

I took the blazer into the shop today and he said the right ball joints were totally shot. How critical are these to replace? What do they do excatly? I know their pretty cheap, but I don't have to extra money right this second... thanks in advance.
Since this is an older truck have they been replaced by a previous owner??? Do the current ball joints use bolts or rivets to hold them to the control arms. If bolts then you will have an easier time to replace than if they were rivots.

If so then they are fairly easy to replace. Just have to follow some safety procedures. Also does your front suspension use coil springs, I am guessing it does.. so it will require some knowledge of how to handle them....but not hard to figure out just need to be safe about this....

Old 09-05-2006, 04:20 PM

I think they have been replaced before. I believe its rivets, but my buddy has a torch. Yeah coil springs. I'm picking up a new lower ball joint tomorrow. I don't want my **** falling off. Thanks. I'll be safe.

Old 09-05-2006, 04:55 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Be careful with the torch... Do NOT cut the control arm. So many times I have seen someone replacing balljoints where the person before them used a torch... I personally feel that a drill or air chisel work better than a torch.

Old 09-05-2006, 10:19 PM
jaye626 is an unknown quantity at this point

Seems like my same question. I had it in the shop for a very loud lower ball joint last week. they greased it and sent me on my way. In one day I heard the loud ball joint again on a bumpy road.so it goes in tomorrow for a replacement. I guess they didn't feel it was real bad ? I didn't pay for the greasing but still if it's that serious I need to find a new shop. It is at the dealer I purchased the 00 from.Guess I'll go slow tonight till they fix er tomorrow.

Old 09-06-2006, 12:04 AM

I agree with Kyle, and the GM service procedure is to use an 1/8" drill bit to drill a pilot hole then follow with a 1/2" drill to take off the top of the rivot. Then use a drift punch to drive out the body of the rivot from the control arm.

The torch might seem quicker but it can also make things worse quicker too. The ball joint replacements use a specific size(diameter) bolt to fit the hole in the control arm, the torch could heat things up so much that that diameter is to big and the heat may also weaken the control arm there and eventually snap when you least expect it.

Also replace ball joints in pairs, both lowers or both uppers and if you have to replace one side then replace both...because if you just replace one the other will fail soon after.... why not fix it right the first time. Ball joints are less expensive than the insurance deductible or a stay in the hospital...

Good luck I did mine in about 4hrs but that was taking a break after pounding on the rivots that were rusted from the factory original ball joints.

Old 09-06-2006, 12:21 AM

Yeah its deffinetly alot of work, more than I thought, i've been working on it since 5:30ish and I still got a long way to go. I ended up have to take the upper ball joint off to get to the bottom one(found out my top ones bad also, not as bad as the bottom) and take off the steering. My top one I guess i'm gonna leave for a while, i'll show pics in a little bit.

Old 09-06-2006, 12:39 AM

Well it sounds like you have a 2WD, mine was a 2000 4WD that requires that you remove the half shaft to get at the bolt for the bottom ball joint, and there is a big 36mm nut to take off and pull the axles out of the front hub...

But it just takes persistance and a bigger hammer than the part you are working on...

Good Luck...

Quick Reply: Reaplcing Ball Joints