1st Generation S-series (1983-1994) Tech Discuss 1st generation S-series (1983-1994) general tech topics here.

Rear window button not working

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2009, 06:23 PM
Herby is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Rear window button not working

Hello! new to the forum and just got a 91 blazer about a month ago. Rear window button was working until now and the key doesn't open it. My biggest problem to start with is I don't even know where the fuse box is. Keep reading that its under the steering wheel, but the panel I see there is screwed in. Is that where it is? Don't want to take things off that don't need to. Thanks!

Old 01-09-2009, 06:29 PM
FoxTrota is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: Rear window button not working

The Fuse box is under the steering wheel to the left, so you only have to remove one panel to the left to access it. Its only one screw.

Old 01-09-2009, 07:16 PM

Great! thanks. I didn't notice that one. Only saw the one right under the steering wheel which had about 4 screws. Going to check with a flashlight this time.

Old 01-09-2009, 07:50 PM

Well I don't know which fuse it is, but I don't think it would matter because all of the fuses were good. Anyone know what else might be the problem? I really need this button to work because the key for the lock itself doesn't seem to work. Thanks.

Old 01-09-2009, 08:57 PM
Peru Motors is an unknown quantity at this point

you can either pull the dash apart to see if you have 12v going in and out of the dash switch and if so pull the tailgate upholstery off the tailgate. Have an assistant push the switch and see if you have 12v going into the release motor that is mounted in the tailgate. All the above will direct you in one direction or another. Report back with your findings.
You either have a power issue to the switch, a switch issue, wiring to the tailgate issue, release motor issue or a ground issue(assuming the fuse is ok) My money is on dash switch or tailgate release motor. Jerry

Old 01-10-2009, 02:42 AM

Geez, sounds like too many parts need to come apart. If I have to take the trim off anyway, I think I'll try to chage the lock first. I just want that damn door to open. Thanks for the help.

Old 01-12-2009, 06:37 PM

I was going to get back to this the other day, but forgot.

I was able to slip the plastic trim back without breaking and pop the window open. Checked the button on the dash and suddenly it worked. Did it a bunch of times and it worked fine, but would sometimes miss. To be safe, I cut a notch into the trim so that I can easily pop it if it stops working again (which it did). Seems to be intermittent, but only starts working again if I manually lock the latch and pop it with the button again. Whats the deal here?

Old 01-12-2009, 07:08 PM
Peru Motors is an unknown quantity at this point

many of these old body styles I found that you had to 'pop' that release button 3-4 times in rapid fire fashion and one of those 4 rapid fire times, it released it. Your situation sounds weird but...wonder if you can get to the back side and blow out the contacts on the back side of that switch-then finally spray some like WD-40 if it's a dust or lack of use issue. Let us know-also last I knew, if one was suspicious of the switch itself, it 'was' recently available thru GM and wasn't too awful bad pricewise. Good luck-Jerry

Old 01-19-2009, 03:23 PM
Beginning Member
justin4x4jimmy is an unknown quantity at this point

this is the same problem for me except it would open if i manually used the key. i was getting frustrated so i ended up copying the key for $1.09 so i dont have to shut the engine off and take my entire key chain or take the 1 key off the chain if im only going to be in the back for a second

Old 01-19-2009, 05:57 PM
wdpk is an unknown quantity at this point

Had the same problem with that button.

So i took the button out, took the wires off and put them into each other. If that opens your backdoor just replace the button

Simple as that