1st Generation S-series (1983-1994) Tech Discuss 1st generation S-series (1983-1994) general tech topics here.

Rear window hatch, leaking water, open hatch for a Puddle in the back.

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2011, 05:09 PM
Beginning Member
jakegaisser is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Rear window hatch, leaking water, open hatch for a Puddle in the back.

Strangely enough I searched the forums and did not find a single topic, maybe im not using the right keywords or something.

The rear window hatch is somehow leaking water, what happens is it fills up with water where the plastic cover goes over the rear window motor, so when I open the rear window, the plastic that covers the motor dumps a good deal of water into the back of the blazer....

I think this is the only spot where water gets into my ride. I am trying to fix all leaks before I put in this synthetic carpet pad as a sound deadener.

Old 04-28-2011, 03:13 PM
Beginning Member
wazzledoozle is on a distinguished road

Tighten the latch that holds the window down. I'd suggest loosening the two retaining bolts then shutting the window, then from the inside pull the window in tightly with one hand while tightening the bolts with the other. Then you might want to move them in just slightly further, maybe 1-2mm or just until you almost cant get the window to latch shut anymore. Aside from replacing the hatch seal, ive heard of people pushing thin diameter tubing inside of the seal to give more pressure against the window.

Last edited by wazzledoozle; 04-28-2011 at 03:16 PM.
Old 05-02-2011, 12:05 AM
Outsydr is an unknown quantity at this point

Check the bolts that hold the window on the hinges the one inside my rear wiper cover came loose over time found it when I was trying to resolve the same problem tightened it back up and leaks no more

Old 05-18-2011, 05:00 PM
Beginning Member
fslobodecki@yahoo.com is on a distinguished road
Default rear window hatch,leaking water,open hatch for a puddle in the back

HI, I ran into this problem this weekend.

Open the hatch glass, look at the right hinge area. See the gasket. The one that looks like a flap right below the hinge.

Get some gasket , weatherstrip and insert it behind the the flap seal.

Run a piece long enough to go from left to right side of opening.

Insert the new weatherstrip behind the flap gasket at the top and make sure to pull it up toward the hinge.

Close the window and pour some water in the hinge area. Look for any water running down the glass. If so, add another piece of weatherstrip in the hinge area.

Test it again. If no more water leaking on glass, you have fixed it.

I used some old door weatherstrip, hard at the channel, with a bubble top. I placed the bubble side up by the hinges, and pulled it up so when the window is closed, I have about 1/8 inch above the glass.

When I pop open the window, the latch setting is ok.

If you pull or push on the window to readjust the latch too tight, it may not open properly.

I do not have any leaks now.

Old 06-08-2012, 02:46 PM
medea1993 is on a distinguished road
Default Leak fix

I know this is an old post, but in case anyone is still searching it...

I did something very similar to solve my leaking issue. I took a length of rubber weatherstrip that I had that I used for a garage door (adheres to the concrete so the garage door closes on top of it to keep water/aire out of the garage).

I cut it to be the length of the opening across the top of the rear glass. Then used some 3M weatherstrip adhesive and glued it into place on top of the existing weather seal. This seems to have solved my constant water leak back there by the rear wiper motor.

Good luck!