1st Generation S-series (1983-1994) Tech Discuss 1st generation S-series (1983-1994) general tech topics here.

Removing starter on 94 S-10 blazer 4x4 4.3l vortec

Old 04-22-2011, 07:51 PM
Starting Member
bertrenolds has a little shameless behavior in the past
Default Removing starter on 94 S-10 blazer 4x4 4.3l vortec

I tryed searching for threads but the only informative thread I found was closed so I am starting a new one. I have the 2 bolts out of the starter and due to horrible design the starter is just a little to big to get out. Someone said to unbolt 4 bolts on the torque converter, which is the shaft that goes to the passenger side half shaft right? This so far has been a pain in the *** and it makes me hate my truck even more, especially since I just replaced my spider injector and I think it's bad again? And I need to get this done within a week to move back home. Did I say I'm beginning to hate my truck.

Old 04-22-2011, 09:15 PM
Starting Member

I just read that you can remove the passenger side engine mount bolt and jack the engine up from the oil pan enough to get the starter out, does this sound right?

Old 04-23-2011, 01:15 AM
Toby Hanson will become famous soon enough

I've done that very same job on my '94 Blazer. I didn't have to remove the engine mount bolt. I removed the stabilizer bars that went to the bottom of the inspection cover on the bellhousing. I then removed the inspection cover. I moved the transmission cooler lines aside and removed the right front wheel. I think I also removed the skid plate at the beginning.

Hopefully that will help you to remove the starter and replace it. I remember it being challenging but not the worst job I've done.

Good luck!

Old 04-23-2011, 08:30 AM
Starting Member

I pulled one bolt off the stabilizer bar by the starter on the tranny and moved it aside and I need just 1/4'' more to get the damn starter out. I will try taking the entire bar off but I don't think I have an inspection cover, what does it look like? I can see the tranny with nothing in the way, I just need that little bit more to get the starter out. I believe the metal mount for the front wheel drive shaft is keeping me from getting just enough room to get the starter out. Why couldnt they make the starter just a little smaller so this wouldn't be so hard? I miss my DSM!

Old 04-23-2011, 09:35 AM
BF Veteran
abig84 will become famous soon enoughabig84 will become famous soon enough

On the old 2.8 4x4s I used to just trim off the corner of the front diff bracket and they come right out. Just pull the bolts out of the engine mounts and jack the engine up. I was able to lift the engine high enough on my 93 to change out the mounts. So that's gotta be at least 2 extra inches

Old 04-23-2011, 12:51 PM
atvwarrior will become famous soon enough

Yea the starters are a pain , and they don't hold up very well under water , I have replaced mine 5 times so far .

Old 04-25-2011, 10:23 PM
Gimpy Blazer is on a distinguished road

Replaced mine on my 94. It came out but you have o get it just right. The last guy that had it out added a little more wire to the solenoid wire. I could see why.

Old 04-27-2011, 07:24 PM
Starting Member

Originally Posted by Toby Hanson
I've done that very same job on my '94 Blazer. I didn't have to remove the engine mount bolt. I removed the stabilizer bars that went to the bottom of the inspection cover on the bellhousing. I then removed the inspection cover. I moved the transmission cooler lines aside and removed the right front wheel. I think I also removed the skid plate at the beginning.

Hopefully that will help you to remove the starter and replace it. I remember it being challenging but not the worst job I've done.

Good luck!
This is exactly what I did and it really isint that difficult, I didn't have to take my passenger side wheel off though, I was able to get the starter down and out enough to unbolt the power cable's on the starter. I also had to unbolt the u-joint on the axel by the tranny to get at the last bolt on the inspection cover. Thanks for the info, hopefully my starter lasts now.