1st Generation S-series (1983-1994) Tech Discuss 1st generation S-series (1983-1994) general tech topics here.

Replace Throttle Position Sensor TPS In Carburetor

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2009, 11:36 PM
Beginning Member
muszyngr is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Replace Throttle Position Sensor TPS In Carburetor

How hard is it to replace the Throttle Position Sensor on a Rochester E2SE carburetor V6 2.8L the piece of **** Haynes manual show's kinda how the guy pulls it out when he is rebuilding the carb, but does that mean I have to take the carb apart, and I can't do it on the car while just removing 2 bolts or so to pop it out

my check engine light flashes code 21 which is the TPS

Old 05-15-2009, 10:46 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

You are going to have to remove the upper air horn to get the TPS sensor out. Are you sure that it is bad? Have you tested it with a multimeter for smooth voltage increase with throttle increase? You should not have over 0.65V at idle. 0.45V is the general area for the reading when on the hot idle cam. I am not sure how to adjust this though.. I rebuilt the E2SE on my old 85 S10 a LONG time ago, but never had an issue with the TPS.

Check out THIS PAGE for the exploded view.

Old 05-21-2009, 11:54 AM
Beginning Member
Default it's better to be lucky than good

I think it was just a loose connection plug, I unplugged it all the way blew on it (like my dad used to do) then plugged it back in, this time I heard it click, I think problem solved... will confirm after the drive home from work

Old 05-21-2009, 01:22 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Sounds good!

Old 05-28-2009, 11:12 AM
Beginning Member
Default Shoot the Check Engine Light is back

on the way home from work the light came back on, so I took the negative cable off the battery for the night trying to clear the codes, and this morning after reconnecting the battery the Check Engine Light CEL came on as soon as I started the truck, so I don't think it was a loose connection. So how do I check the voltage of the Throttle Position Sensor TPS.

I spell things out so when people do searches they can find these posts, CEL, TPS, etc. and maybe find them helpful and meaningful.

Old 05-28-2009, 02:02 PM
Administrator

I am not sure what the values are supposed to be for the TPS in the E2SE carb...