1st Generation S-series (1983-1994) Tech Discuss 1st generation S-series (1983-1994) general tech topics here.

Rough Idle and surging idle?

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2011, 06:16 AM
Beginning Member
UnknownFish is on a distinguished road

How do I go about removing the half a tank of fuel that's in the tank or is it okay to drop the tank with 2 jacks carefully?

Old 11-09-2011, 08:29 AM
Smitty Smithsonite is on a distinguished road

Could throw a hose in the tank an siphon the ol' fashioned way - just hold your breath & don't swallow.

But it would be quicker to just drop the tank with a helper, or a jack.

Old 11-09-2011, 08:50 AM
BF Veteran
pettyfog has a spectacular aura aboutpettyfog has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by UnknownFish
How do I go about removing the half a tank of fuel that's in the tank or is it okay to drop the tank with 2 jacks carefully?
I wouldnt suggest brute force. Even with two guys 8 gals of gas in long sloshy container is pretty awkward.

Dunno about your generation but in 2nd filler tube, it's impossible to get a siphon hose to the tank.
Depending on the state of the evap system {or you could disconnect and block vent tube to the canister.} disconnect fuel filter and put large pan under line. Shopvac on 'blow' and wrap rag around hose so outer part of tube is covered. Air pressure in tank will start the siphon.

Worked for me on another car. When I did my Bravadiva the siphon just started by itself.

Old 11-09-2011, 09:06 AM
Smitty Smithsonite is on a distinguished road

Yeah can't siphon any of the OBD-II vehicle tanks - too much crap in there for the evaporative emissions system.

And yes - the air hose trick works great. Forgot about that one.

Last edited by Smitty Smithsonite; 11-09-2011 at 09:10 AM.
Old 11-09-2011, 11:29 AM
Beginning Member
harley745 is an unknown quantity at this point

I built an access door for my tank repairs, and I did not cut any of the pan cross members. Works fine for me.

Old 11-09-2011, 11:54 PM
Toby Hanson will become famous soon enough

I've dropped a tank with about 10gal of fuel in it. It's possible if you go carefully and support the tank really well. I built a wooden cradle to put on my jack similar to a transmission jack saddle. I was able to lower the tank enough to get the fuel lines disconnected. Once the tank was down I was able to pour the gas out through the filler tube.

Old 11-10-2011, 01:13 PM
Beginning Member

Well I attempted to take the bolts out of the support straps today with an impact and could only get 1 out and gave up after 3 hours.

I have decided that I am gonna pull the carpet up and cut an access panel out with a jigsaw in the next few days, wish me luck!

Old 11-10-2011, 02:22 PM
BF Veteran
pettyfog has a spectacular aura aboutpettyfog has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by UnknownFish
Well I attempted to take the bolts out of the support straps today with an impact and could only get 1 out and gave up after 3 hours.

I have decided that I am gonna pull the carpet up and cut an access panel out with a jigsaw in the next few days, wish me luck!
DONT USE A SAW. TOO easy to screw something up. Dont use a grinder cutter.. sparks / gas tank

Use heavy duty snips or a nibbler after carefully drilling pilot holes.
- and of course after you drill those holes, crawl under and see if it's practical after all

Lemme guess on that tank bolt.. you get a few turns, it freezes up. Here's the process:

Wire brush

Pblaster.
wait..
Turn till stiff

Back off halfway
wire brush
pblaster

turn till stiff again

back off
brush
pblaster
- repeat as needed

Tedious but always works.

Home shop impacts aint got enough ***. And pro shop impacts break the things as often as not.

Last edited by pettyfog; 11-10-2011 at 02:25 PM.
Old 11-10-2011, 03:34 PM
Beginning Member

The head stripped on the bolt.

Old 11-10-2011, 10:59 PM
Beginning Member

Anyone have any idea how thick the floor is that I'm gonna cut, trying to figure out if 14 gauge electric shears would cut or an 18 gauge nibbler? Thanks.

Quick Reply: Rough Idle and surging idle?