1st Generation S-series (1983-1994) Tech Discuss 1st generation S-series (1983-1994) general tech topics here.

Routine Maintenance and Steering/Suspension

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2013, 02:11 AM
Starting Member
95BlackGA is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Routine Maintenance and Steering/Suspension

My Blazer has missed quite a few maintenance chances from the previous owners. I am getting a very generous bonus from work this week, so it's time to play catch up. I definitely need new steering components, as I have a LOT of play in the steering. It also pulls HARD to the left. It is definitely misaligned. Instead of taking it to get an alignment right away, I figure there's a few items I'll change first. So far, I've got the idler arm, pitman arm, all tie rod ends and ball joints on order. Anything else I should look into so I don't have to redo an alignment a few months down the road? Along with that stuff, I have new wheel hubs, brake rotors, and pads coming. I have brand new tires being installed tomorrow, 245/75-16 Dakota AT's. Brake drum and shoes are also ordered. While in the shop replacing everything, I plan on greasing everything possible. Obviously the whole normal tune-up procedures will be done also; plugs, wires, cap & rotor, oil change, coolant flush, filter and replacing my oil pressure sending unit (terrible leak) ect... The only thing I can't complete on my own would be the transmission filter and fluid flush. I'll be taking that to my transmission shop to have completed. I could do it myself, but don't have enough time working on transmissions to trust myself doing this on my daily driver.

So, with that being said, what can I also look into to doing, to play catch up? Act like the Blazer has 127k on it, and no routine maintenance done on it. I have no idea when any of this was last done.

EDIT : * The only verifiable maintenance done is the timing chain, done around 30k ago.

Old 03-14-2013, 10:07 AM
BF Veteran
El_Beautor will become famous soon enoughEl_Beautor will become famous soon enough

It looks to me that you have a good start on things. The only other maintenance I can think of off the top of my head is I would check the shocks and the front sway bar end links. Both of those can contribute to front end bounce and sway if they're worn out. My Blazer behaved much better on the road when I replaced the sway bar end links.

Old 03-14-2013, 03:34 PM
Starting Member

Went to Big O Tires today, 'cause Pepboys had a 3 hour wait. Got 245/75-16 Big O Bigfoot All Terrains. The were going to do a free alignment, but couldn't. The only good ball joint was the driver's upper. Tie rods were shot, and pitman arm. luckily, I knew this already and had O'Reilly's order them so I could pick them up today. So far I've changed the driver's side tie rod, and pulled both ball joints. Fixing to press them in, and get at least that side done tonight. Probably do the passenger tie rod if there's still day light. Don't have the proper size of tools here, so I have to go pick up some new tools. YES! Will get some progress pictures soon.

Old 03-14-2013, 03:44 PM
Starting Member

Fenders will definitely need to be trimmed.

Attached Thumbnails Routine Maintenance and Steering/Suspension-img_20130314_151505.jpg   Routine Maintenance and Steering/Suspension-img_20130314_151519.jpg   Routine Maintenance and Steering/Suspension-img_20130314_151523.jpg  
Old 03-14-2013, 09:33 PM
Starting Member

Had a minor set back on a couple things... Got everything done, except for putting the rim and tire back on. My jack broke while lifting the Blazer to put the rim back on. Luckily I always keep jack stands under it while doing any type of lifting. Going to buy a new jack tonight, from Walmart, just to get the Blazer drivable.

Old 03-14-2013, 11:44 PM
BF Veteran
El_Beautor will become famous soon enoughEl_Beautor will become famous soon enough

Tires and wheels look nice!

Old 03-15-2013, 09:46 PM
BF Veteran
AJBert is a jewel in the roughAJBert is a jewel in the roughAJBert is a jewel in the rough

You might want to take a look at your upper and lower control arm bushings, too. If they are original, more than likely they are well past their shelf life and contributing to your alignment problems.