1st Generation S-series (1983-1994) Tech Discuss 1st generation S-series (1983-1994) general tech topics here.

Serpentine Belt Change??

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2006, 11:08 AM
cimbali is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Serpentine Belt Change??

Hey, I am wondering if any one can advise how to change the serpentine belt on my 1994 S10 Blazer (with AC). I recently noticed during an oil change that is cracked all over and should be changed. I do have the belt diagram but I need help identifying the tensioner and whether any special tools are needed.

Any comments would be most appreciated!

Old 06-12-2006, 01:22 PM
Beginning Member
greengoose89 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: Serpentine Belt Change??

I've never replaced the belt on either of the trucks i have now but i have done it on other vehicles. You shouldn't need any special tools, just a socket set and rachet should do the trick to loosen the tensioner (you may need a long handle rachet or a pry bar of some type to get enough leverage when retightening though, if you don't get it tight enough, you will have one heck of a squeal!). I would suggest picking up a Haynes repair manual at an auto parts store, i got mine for 11 bucks and it comes in handy more often than you would think. It will walk you right through the process with pictures. If you don't want to buy one, some libraries (at least in my area) will have them available for check out. I would avoid the Chiltons manuals, i don't think they are as detailed as the Haynes manuals - just my personal preference...

Old 06-12-2006, 01:56 PM

Thanks for the reply. Your on the money with the Chifton manuls. I flipped through one at my local library and thought it was pretty much useless. I'll check out the Haynes manuals!

Old 06-12-2006, 02:45 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

I agree on the Chiltons, but really don't find the Haynes to be all that much better. Every once in awhile you may get lucky and find a factory service manual (FSM) on eBay, but they are few and far between. Helm Inc is the company that reproduces the FSMs for GM. If you have a bit of extra cash, they are the manuals to have. Also, AllDataDIY.com is a good resource to have, but requires a yearly fee. I am signed up for all of my current vehicles plus some of my families vehicles through AllDataDIY and use it almost everyday to help someone out.

Old 06-12-2006, 03:56 PM

Thanks for the reply, folks. I found this link which has some good pics of the 4.3L Vortec and how to remove the serpentine belt...but they dont show ya specifically where the tensioner pulley bolt is!!

Is it the bolt that would be in the center of the tensioner spindle in figure 6 in the link below?

http://www.autozone.com/servlet/UiBr...3d8018ab44.jsp

I am certainly going to pick some manuals but I'd like to change this belt before it snaps...

Your assistance is appreicated!

Old 06-12-2006, 05:24 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Does your truck have a spring loaded tensioner on it? If so, you really don't loosen bolts, you just pull back on the tensioner, against the internal spring, enough to loosen the belt to remove it.

Old 06-12-2006, 05:48 PM

I believe it has an automatic belt tensioner...does that mean it's spring loaded?...

thx
Cimbali
AKA "the newbie"

Old 06-12-2006, 06:24 PM
Administrator

Yes, and if that is the case, then all you need is a 1/2 breaker bar with the appropriate socket on it to put over the bolt in the center of the tensioner pulley (or anything that you can put enough muscle to inorder to overcome the spring force). Push on the wrench like you are tightening the bolt and the belt should loosen up. Pull out the old belt and thread in the new belt all the way until you are ready to put it under the tensioner, push on the wrench/breaker bar again until you are able to slip the new belt under the pulley. DONE...

If your '94 has a similar setup as to my '00 (which it does from the sounds of it...), you should be set. I don't require a socket, just a 1/2" breaker bar with a 1/2" to 3/8" extension into my tensioner, but other than that, the process is the same.

Old 06-12-2006, 06:30 PM

This is great, thanks!

Old 06-13-2006, 12:25 AM
BF Veteran
Hanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond repute

Look at figure 8 in the AZ link. It shows the rachet and socket attached to the right bolt. On some tensioners there is no bolt, the rachet fits inside the tensioner. Careful, it is spring loaded, and if you let go while your face is in the way. IT can hurt!!!!! [8D]

Quick Reply: Serpentine Belt Change??