1st Generation S-series (1983-1994) Tech Discuss 1st generation S-series (1983-1994) general tech topics here.

Shifter Lever broke

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2009, 02:50 PM
Beginning Member
tprouty is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Shifter Lever broke

So the shifter lever is broken on the steering column, and I dont really want to buy a new one... Does anyone know of a creative way I can repair this?

It works. It just comes out of where its suppose to be secured. There are no issues shifting. I would leave it but when i hit it or go over a bump it pops out and goes on the floor.

Someone tried to tack weld = fail
"Mighty Putty" = fail

I'm open to try anything that you think will work.

Old 06-15-2009, 04:45 PM
mikeinwi has much to be proud ofmikeinwi has much to be proud ofmikeinwi has much to be proud ofmikeinwi has much to be proud ofmikeinwi has much to be proud ofmikeinwi has much to be proud ofmikeinwi has much to be proud ofmikeinwi has much to be proud ofmikeinwi has much to be proud of

i beleive there is a pin type thing that holds the shift lever in place so you could just buy a new pin to hold it in place or rig up your own pin to keep the lever in place.

Old 06-15-2009, 05:23 PM
BF Guru
rriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond repute

You know, that's the weirdest looking Blazer I have ever seen.

Old 06-15-2009, 10:50 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

What has failed here? If it is the type of failures I have seen, the collar on the steering column actually breaks out where the pin is held in place. If this is what has happened, the only real way to fix it without really cobbing something up is to replace it. You would probably be surprised at what a junkyard column would cost.

Old 06-16-2009, 07:09 AM
Beginning Member

Originally Posted by swartlkk
What has failed here? If it is the type of failures I have seen, the collar on the steering column actually breaks out where the pin is held in place. If this is what has happened, the only real way to fix it without really cobbing something up is to replace it. You would probably be surprised at what a junkyard column would cost.

Thats exactly what happened. I looked on Ebay and all I could only find would be 100+
I'll check junk yards

Thanks

Old 09-17-2009, 10:41 AM
Beginning Member

bring up my old thread, will this fix my issue?
http://www.autozone.com/autozone/cat...Name=Lockworks

Old 09-17-2009, 04:22 PM
BF Guru
old skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of light

i don't know what the wreckers around you charge, but i can p/u a coluum for $50, and that's Canadian, hahahaha! did the coluum break off, or did the bottom of the shifter arm?

Old 09-18-2009, 06:42 AM
Beginning Member

The part where the pin goes to hold it in, the plastic on the column

Old 09-18-2009, 10:26 AM
BF Guru
old skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of light

yeah, i though it would be the collar (i've only ever seen one lever actually break before-that'd be me ). check your wreckers, they should be easy to find one.