1st Generation S-series (1983-1994) Tech Discuss 1st generation S-series (1983-1994) general tech topics here.

ecm1 fuse help!

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2010, 12:05 PM
Beginning Member
mrhockey4real is on a distinguished road
Default ecm1 fuse help!

I have a 1992 blazer s10 4x4, when I went to start it up in the morning it wouldnt fire up, so i checked all the fuses and noticed the ecm1 fuse was blown so I replaced it, then I went to start it up and it fired up rite away but the idle was very rough as if it wanted to stall, as I was giving it gas it was running but the idle was very loopy, and eventually the ecm1 fuse would blow and the engine would stall out on its own, im no mechanic so i dont know whats going on, however I did notice a spark plug wire had a gash in it so im thinking that its causing an internal short and making the ecm1 fuse blow, is there anyone that can help me figure it out? ive searched all the fourms for help but it hasnt help me out with much, any help would be appreciated thanks

Old 08-13-2010, 01:44 PM
ohsofly will become famous soon enoughohsofly will become famous soon enough

Does the spark jump from the tear in the wire? Where does it jump to, cause that spark could very well pop the fuse depending on where it jumps to. If its arcing, you can hear the crackling sound of the spark, and if its dark, you can definatly see it too.

Old 08-13-2010, 04:36 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

The ECM1 fuse feeds power to the EGR valve, ECM Pins B4 & A6, Variable Tuning CTRL relay, and the fuel injector in the CPI engine (VIN W).

Here a few diagrams that might help:

Attached Thumbnails ecm1 fuse help!-92_fuse_sch.jpg   ecm1 fuse help!-92_ecm_sch.gif  
Old 08-13-2010, 04:47 PM
Beginning Member

the car still fires up from the tear in the spark plug, the idle is just very loopy and the ecm1 fuse keeps blowing, tomorrow im gonna do an ignition tune up, if that doesnt solve the problem then im gonna need some serious help cause im an amateur mechanic working with my haynes manual

so if the ecm1 fuse controls all of those things, does that mean one of those is whats going wrong ? maybe when I took off the air filter and housing maybe I would have knocked the egr valve outa place

Last edited by swartlkk; 08-13-2010 at 05:04 PM. Reason: *Consecutive Posts* - Please use the edit feature to add more information to your post if another member has yet to reply.
Old 08-13-2010, 05:05 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

You either have a problem with one or more of those items or you have a short in the wiring to/from one of those items. You can start by disconnecting each of the items and see if the fuse blows. You can also inspect the wiring for damage.

Old 08-13-2010, 05:44 PM
Beginning Member

alrite thanks for the help, im gonna start off by doing an ignition tune up, if that doesnt solve the problem, then im gonna go ahead and start working on those items, any other suggestions? my dad who is a mechanic suggested that it is possible that a bad spark plug wire could cause an internal short and make the ecm1 fuse blow, but would the engine even fire up with a bad spark plug?

Old 08-13-2010, 10:35 PM
94BlazerPA is on a distinguished road

depending how bad the gash in the wire is, it will start. If its cut through then no it wouldnt.

Old 08-14-2010, 12:14 AM
Beginning Member

its defiently not all the way through, so the spark plugs most likely arent the problem, regardless it still needs an ignition tune up, but I have a feeling thats not the cause of the ecm1 fuse to keep blowing

Old 08-14-2010, 09:51 AM
94BlazerPA is on a distinguished road

yeah, something is shorting out for the fuse to blow. Start going over all the things listed above thats controlled by this fuse and look for loose connections, chafed wires, crossed wires, anything that will cause a short. Its probably something so stupid.

electrical gremlins are the worst to track down.

Old 08-14-2010, 03:31 PM
Beginning Member

yeah i just did an ignition tune up and im still having the same problem, I checked out the egr valve and it looks to be corroded at the manifold so that mite be the problem, unfortunally im no mechanic so I dont know what to do im gonna have to bring it to a mechanic shop, the engine still fires up, but runs like crap and stalls with in seconds

Quick Reply: ecm1 fuse help!