1st Generation S-series (1983-1994) Tech Discuss 1st generation S-series (1983-1994) general tech topics here.

Sputtering, please help!

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2018, 10:12 AM
Starting Member
Lefet is on a distinguished road
Default Sputtering, please help!

3 days ago it wouldn't start. Sprayed some carb/choke cleaner in the throttle body, it started. Seems like when it cools, I have to repeat the process. Today, driving from work it started sputtering on the parkway. I have to drive from NJ home to PA, but am afraid of breaking down. Any idea on what it could be? I'm going to thoroughly clean the throttle body. What else should I look for? Could the TB sensor be bad? Idiot light comes on sporadically. It's got about 8k miles on a complete tune up.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Old 04-01-2018, 08:12 AM
Starting Member

Can anyone at least give me a direction to begin? I can't just start throwing parts at it. What (and how) can i do to begin to eliminate the various possibilities? Fuel pump was tested, it's up about 58. Could it be the fuel filter? Would jumping the ALDL thingy point me in a direction?

And of course, forecast has changed to supposedly 6" of snow today!

Old 04-01-2018, 08:50 AM
chevyriders is on a distinguished road

Did you check the fuel pressure right out of the pump? Or in front of the fuel filter?

Old 04-01-2018, 10:01 AM
Starting Member

It was checked from right behind the engine next to the distributor cap.
I also just jumped ALDL plug and got 23, 32, 35 & 45. So I'll start there. Also wouldn't start today without the carb cleaner.

Old 04-01-2018, 10:35 AM
Starting Member

Which is which? There are 2 sensors, one right above the TB, kind of oblong, the other a little farther back and round. Both have 2 screws. On one, (closest to TB) one of the screws is stripped. Also, can I use carb/choke cleaner instead of brake cleaner? I don't ha e any brake cleaner.

Old 04-01-2018, 11:47 AM
chevyriders is on a distinguished road

I don't know much about the tbi engines, if 58psi is within spec it doesn't sound like the fuel filter could be the issue, because you tested it after the filter.(though, it's never a bad idea to change it out anyway.)

Did you find out what the codes are for?

Old 04-02-2018, 01:14 PM
Starting Member

So far what I got is: 23- IAC, 32-MAP, 35- IAC, clean and 45- 02 sensor, rich.
I don't really know what all of that means but I cleaned the IAC (I believe, round with a paddle that opens/closes) and the MAP sensors. The truck started but only because I put cleaner/starter fluid in the TB. Once I start riding, it will start sputtering and spitting. I'm afraid it will die on the road and I'll have to have it towed.
Once it sits and seems everything settles down, it won't start again unless I spray some fluid in the TB. I wish I could get this figured out, I need to get home.

Old 04-03-2018, 11:08 AM
Starting Member

Anybody?
I don't have the money to put it in the shop, nor the $$ to just throw parts at it.
Can somebody give me a direction to start looking?
After sitting, it won't start without fluid. Once running, 40-50 mph it starts sputtering. I'm afraid of driving it and getting stuck on the side of the road.

Old 04-04-2018, 10:42 AM
Starting Member

So another day of no spray, no start. I did the paper clip trick again and came away with the same codes: 23, 32, 35 and 45. Anybody with any idea on where to start?

Old 04-04-2018, 11:35 AM
Rusty Nuts is on a distinguished road

The lowest code number is 23. Intake air temperature. Look up the spec for that sending unit. It's a chart that gives an ohm resistance against temperature. Measure the resistance of your sending unit and the temperature and compare yours to the chart. That will tell if the sending unit is the problem.

Quick Reply: Sputtering, please help!