1st Generation S-series (1983-1994) Tech Discuss 1st generation S-series (1983-1994) general tech topics here.

Squeaking when turning

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2010, 09:23 PM
FireInMe17 is on a distinguished road
Default Squeaking when turning

After a good long weekend of off roading through just about anything you can imagine, I get the Blazer home to find that two days after its been back on dry pavement, there is a very loud squeak coming from the steering when i turn the wheel either direction to a certain degree. Not when I'm going with a turn on the road, or on the highway, but like when I'm turning onto another street, or parking the car. I don't know what it could be, and I can't really pin point it to either side. I checked the power steering fluid and its not that its low, and it doesn't sound like the power steering, but it sounds like its from the actual steering components themselves. I checked as much as I could tonight but I can't find anything unusual.

Could it be a bushing going bad or something? Do I need to get the tie rods or other components greased?

Old 12-21-2010, 11:34 PM
84BlazerS10 is on a distinguished road

My blazer started doing this too but it only seems to do it when it's cold outside.

Old 12-22-2010, 06:47 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Sounds like the belt is either glazed or the tensioner isn't tightening it enough. This is quite common on the s-series trucks. If you haven't replaced your serpentine belt recently, you may want to give that a try first. Get the Goodyear Gatorback belt as they seem to work the best on these trucks.

Old 12-23-2010, 01:34 PM
Starting Member
bertrenolds has a little shameless behavior in the past

A problem I had was the torsion bar mounts on my truck were bad and ever time I was on a bumpy road or hit a bump I would hear an annoying squeek or rattle. Get under you truck and try shaking the torsion bar and see if there is movement. Here is a link to the mounts I got http://www.autozone.com/autozone/par...er=163179_0_0_

Otherwise I believe Swart has it right, it could be the serpentine belt or even an idler pully wheel and the bearings are shot.

Last edited by bertrenolds; 12-23-2010 at 01:37 PM.
Old 12-24-2010, 12:01 AM
FireInMe17 is on a distinguished road

No, its not when I hit a bump, its only when i turn the steering wheel point to point. And its not a squeal like a belt, its a squeak like opening a door that needs some wd-40...

I don't know what it could be, tonight I picked up a new sound off road, when I turn the wheel so far, the extra strain on the engine makes my exhaust rattle, and more specifically, the cat, and its hitting either the floor or the frame and makes a really loud noise. So I need to get some better hangars or adjust it so it won't touch anything when I turn the wheel like that.

Old 12-24-2010, 08:06 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Have you tried greasing the ball joints and tie rod ends?

Old 12-24-2010, 06:34 PM
84BlazerS10 is on a distinguished road

I have the same problem but all my ball joints and tie rod ends are brand new and were greased just a few months ago. The sound on mine sounds like it's coming from the steering column or something.