1st Generation S-series (1983-1994) Tech Discuss 1st generation S-series (1983-1994) general tech topics here.

Starting engine drains battery

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2009, 06:49 PM
lbauer is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Starting engine drains battery

Aloha everyone! I need help. I have an 87 S-10 Blazer 4x4. Starting the engine drains the battery by the 3rd start up. New battery, almost new (rebuild alternator) Nothing on the cables. Once the battery dies, if you jump it, it starts right up....so do not think it's the starter....any suggestions? Additionally, the other night when I popped the back window, I noticed a blue spark from the fuse box area. Have also had problems with the turn signals. Have replaced fuses, just keep burning out......needle in a haystack?

Old 02-23-2009, 07:20 PM
bandidolenny is on a distinguished road
Default RE: Starting engine drains battery

Where did you get the alternator? Pull it off and have it load tested. I would stay away from rebuilt units and anything made in China if I could. If you paid less than $150 for it then you probably got a cheapy rebuild.
Check your battery cables. Slit the insulation back about an inch... is the cable coroded?If in doubt, replace both cables.
Next is the battery... They are really making themwith lowqualitythese days. I heard somewhere recently that the average life of a wal-mart or auto zone type of battery is about 9 months in south Texas. I would try to find a battery dealer (like Interstate, Optima etc) and buy from them.
Did this problem just show up or has it been getting worse over time? Check for drains on the battery by removing the positive cable. Then hook up a dc volt meter with the negative to the cable and the positive to the battery post. You should not have more than 4 - 6 volts draw with everything off (dont forget the hood light). If you have more than that, start pulling fuses until you find the drain.

Also - I see that you have posted this in more than one catagory - that sort of thing is frowned upon here

Old 02-23-2009, 09:08 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: Starting engine drains battery

*Moving to 1st Gen Tech & Deleting the Double Post* The New Member Area is for new member introductions only. If you inadvertently post in this section, a member of the staff will move it for you. There is no need to post the same question in multiple areas.