1st Generation S-series (1983-1994) Tech Discuss 1st generation S-series (1983-1994) general tech topics here.

Swapping Transfer Cases

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2009, 08:12 PM
gordonltaghon is on a distinguished road
Default Swapping Transfer Cases

Hello, name is Gordon and I have two s10 blazers. First is a 93 with the throttle-body injection, 4-speed auto, and it's a 4x4. The second one is a 94 with the central port injection, 4-speed auto, and it's a 4x4. I really don't know much about these trucks. The tranny in the 94 has no third and overdrive gears. I was wondering if I could take the tranny and transfer case out of the 93 and put itin the 94. The transfer case in the 93 has a lever on the floor, it's mechanical. But the transfer case in the 94 has a button on the left side of the gauge cluster. Can I switch out the tranny and transfer case out of the 93 and put it into the 94? I know that I will have to cut into the hump for the shifter if it's possible to do the trade out. HELP, I'm stuck. Thanks and I hope this site is better than some of them auto ones out there. Thanks again, Gordon.

Old 08-26-2009, 09:36 PM
BF Guru
rriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond repute

I have moved this thread to the correct Forum section from the 'New Member' area since that section is just for introducing yourself and your truck. By putting it in the '1st Gen Tech' section you will have a better chance of getting your question answered.

Old 08-26-2009, 09:55 PM
ChevyBlazerChick will become famous soon enoughChevyBlazerChick will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by rriddle3
I have moved this thread to the correct Forum section from the 'New Member' area since that section is just for introducing yourself and your truck. By putting it in the '1st Gen Tech' section you will have a better chance of getting your question answered.

But you made my post disappear

Old 08-26-2009, 10:17 PM
BF Guru
rriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, because it did nothing to address the questions he was asking and did not fit into the thread after I moved it. No offense meant.

Old 08-26-2009, 11:34 PM

Thanks, didn't know for sure where to put my question.

Old 08-28-2009, 09:42 AM
BF Guru

per request of OP.

Old 08-28-2009, 06:05 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

The transmissions should be able to be swapped, but unless you swap over all of the mechanical linkages and floor pieces, you will not be able to use the transfer case. You should be able to bolt the 94's transfer case onto the back of the 93's transmission.

Old 08-28-2009, 10:35 PM

Originally Posted by swartlkk
The transmissions should be able to be swapped, but unless you swap over all of the mechanical linkages and floor pieces, you will not be able to use the transfer case. You should be able to bolt the 94's transfer case onto the back of the 93's transmission.
Thanks for the tip. What do you mean by the floor pieces?

Old 08-28-2009, 11:09 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Whatever is around the shift lever in your '93. If you wanted to swap over the manual shifted transfer case, you'd probably want it to work/look like the 93.

Old 09-25-2009, 10:33 PM
The_Blackjack is on a distinguished road

Not to sound like a know it all here... Anyone can make anything work, but as for a Bolt-in and go, its not going to. The 94 S10 Blazer used 2 different auto transmissions, and they were ONLY used in the 94 S10 BLAZERS. I run an auto salvage facility, and when questioned on the 94 Blazer transmission, it prompts me to answer "with" or "without" GM option code "CTF" This code indicates an "interim design change", which, in laymans terms means that halfway through the first year of a new transmission design, they scrapped it, and tried again. It didn't work, because they changed it again, along with the body style in 95. 95 was also a 1 year tranny in the Blazers. 96-98 are the same, 99-00 are the same, and the rest I don't remember.

Quick Reply: Swapping Transfer Cases