1st Generation S-series (1983-1994) Tech Discuss 1st generation S-series (1983-1994) general tech topics here.

Three parts, one problem?

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2010, 02:13 AM
Starting Member
degaine_designs is on a distinguished road
Default Three parts, one problem?

So, a while back I posted about my windshield wipers not working. I found that the washer isn't working either. I replaced both the wiper motor and washer pump and checked the fuse under the dash. Still nothing.

I'm moving back to Cali in October so I finally got around to testing out the cruise control. Nada.

I'm thinking there has to be a connection between all three of those things not working seeing as they are all controlled on the same lever on the steering column.

How much of a pain is it to replace said lever? If that isn't the problem, what the eff is it!? I'm hoping that is the problem. I'd hate to have to find and fix three separate problems. :/

Old 08-30-2010, 11:33 AM
mr.vls will become famous soon enough

I replaced the stalk on my car and it was a pain. I can't remember exactly how it comes off of the column but the plug is at the base of the steering column. When I did mine i tied a piece of string to the plug when I pulled the old stalk out so I would have a way of fishing the new wire through the column. (worked very well). If you have the schematics for the stalk you can check the switch functions with a multi-meter at the base of the column. I remember I pulled the steering wheel, and somehow the stalk snaps out of the column. I have only done it once and it was about 5 or 6 years ago.

Last edited by mr.vls; 08-30-2010 at 11:36 AM.
Old 08-30-2010, 03:57 PM
94BlazerPA is on a distinguished road

ON things I'm not sure on how to get apart, I go to the junkyard and practice/learn on there vehicles. I learn by trial and error on someone elses stuff.

Old 08-30-2010, 07:07 PM
Starting Member

Thanks for the info and advice. Unfortunately I don't have time for practicing on other vehicles, so I guess it's a job for someone else. :/

Old 09-04-2010, 08:50 PM
Beginning Member
bluenick81 is on a distinguished road

Just replaced that very part on my '92 S10 Blazer yesterday, primarly because I had broken the part that sprays the washerfluid. Removed the screws that hold the dash panels underneath the steering column to be able to get access to the cables underneath. I ordered my replacement part from 1AAuto and watched a video there on how to do it. The lever portion is fairly simple to remove, just have to firmly pull it to disconnect it from where it connects to the steering column. After getting the lever free, I pulled tugged on it to locate the end of the cable, the disconnected the cable.
The part I slightly goofed on was in not tying a string tight enough to the end of the old cable as I was removing the lever that wasn't functioning. I toyed with the idea of trying to get the new cable to go back down in the steering column, but didn't feel like going through all that hassle, so I've currently got it running on along the outside of the steering column and following it down into the dash panels to where it connects.
I connected the cable back up, tested my turn signals and wipers to make sure it was all good, then resecured all the dash panels. I got my wipers to work properly, can get washerfluid to spray when needed, and as an added bonus, my cruise control actually works again. I've had this Blazer 10 years, and this is the first time my cruise control has worked.
Up to the point that I lost the string, everything went pretty smoothly, and was on pace to be completly finished within 30 mins. Trying to figure out a good solution to the cable issue added me a little extra time, but it turned out to be a helpful little project.

Old 09-04-2010, 10:39 PM
Starting Member

Hey, thanks! I'll take a look at that site and the video.