1st Generation S-series (1983-1994) Tech Discuss 1st generation S-series (1983-1994) general tech topics here.

throtle not going veryfast help

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2011, 04:31 AM
WhiteJimmy219 is on a distinguished road
Default throtle not going veryfast help

sorry if i posted this in the wrong place but tis is just driving me insane ok i have a 93 gmc jimmy fuel injected 4x4 it runs great nothing sounds bad or anything but say when i start driving it seems like its bogging out i can mash on the gas on the way to the floor and it wont get up and go it just decreases the sound of the rpms or what not and sounds and feel like its bogging out takes me about 10 to 15 mins to get p to speed lol maybe a lil over doing it but any way COULD IT BE THE CAT please help

Old 05-26-2011, 12:10 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

There are a number of things that can cause this to occur... They really are too numerous to list and would probably serve to confuse the issue at this point.

Does it only do this at a specific throttle position? Or during a specific RPM band? In a specific gear?

BTW, please try to form your posts into sentences and paragraphs. Makes for much easier reading. Every bit of effort you can put in to make it easier for those of us that are here to help goes a long way in getting that help you seek!

Old 05-26-2011, 04:34 PM

no i can back out of my drive way and when i start to go in drive if i hit the gas then or if i put a even amount of pressure on the throttle it does it

Old 05-26-2011, 06:30 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

What is your fuel pressure (requires a gauge - should be over 55psi) and leak down rate (should remain above 50psi for 10 minutes after the pump shuts off)? The above numbers are for a CPI engine (air cleaner in the front driver side corner under the hood).

Have you tested the TPS sensor? Should have 0.5V on the output lead when the throttle is closed and ~4.5V on the output lead when the throttle is fully open. Test with the key on. One wire should be a ground, another will be a +5V constant and the last will be the output to the ECM.

Old 05-26-2011, 11:09 PM

oh my im lost sorry i dont have any clue what my fueal pressure is i have no gages and i dont know what ur talkin about on the air cleaner im just lost man

Old 05-26-2011, 11:36 PM
ohsofly will become famous soon enoughohsofly will become famous soon enough

Does your engine look like THIS one? It will have the word VORTEC in orange on top of it. This is a "CPI" (Central port injection) engine, or "W" engine code, and have a common problem that you are most likely having as most of us have had it. The fuel leaks internally, under that 6 legged looking silver thing (its called a "Plenum") on top of the engine. What you want to do is take off the plate with the orange VORTEC (not on the engine in my photo) and then remove that round hockey puck thing in the center of the crab leg silver part - take out 2 screws and pop it up and out. Grab a flashlight and look inside the hole to the rear and drivers side - tell us what color it is. ALL black is good. ANY gold or silver is bad. You can also skip the dissassembly if you have a fuel pressure gauge - which we know you dont have now... So take that part off and look inside. If you have and gold coloring inside there, you are looking at about 4 hours to fix yourself with our instrustions (anyone can do it if you follow the instructions and all you need is basic sockets and wrenches), and about $50-500 depending where you get the parts from, and which parts are leaking (order online).

Dont be intimidated, you will get tons of help from us.

So first step, have a peek and tell is what you see, then we will get going onto the next step. May want to stop driving it so much, as you can bugger the catalytic convertor with all the raw fuel and cost even more money.

Another easy way to tell if you have a leak, check your oil level before you start her up tomorrow. If its overfull and stinks like gas, you have the leak we are thinking you have. You may also notice that the exhaust stinks like rotten eggs.

Last edited by ohsofly; 05-26-2011 at 11:49 PM.
Old 05-27-2011, 09:58 PM

ok i will look at it tommorow since it is now night time but would i need any gaskets i mean i hope it dont need to be worked on and i hope maybe just maybe it would be the cat

Old 05-28-2011, 10:25 AM
ohsofly will become famous soon enoughohsofly will become famous soon enough

You can get the plenum gasket, it goes between the plenum and intake, but you only need that if you have an internal leak and are going to be opening it up to change something inside. If you care careful popping off the plenum, you can reuse that gasket thats on it, but if it breaks, you need a new one. They are like 10 bucks.

Old 05-28-2011, 09:26 PM
BF Veteran
chris015 has a spectacular aura aboutchris015 has a spectacular aura aboutchris015 has a spectacular aura about

$9.82 is what i paid tax n all for that gasket lol.

It could be a bad cat...Way of testing that is drive the blazer at night for about 30 minutes. then go home and park it,leave it running and crawl under it and if the cats glowing red or orange,its plugged up. Been there done that. But for now check that and pull off the hockey puck thing and check for gold/silver colors. its easy stuff. if you can change your oil or air filter,you can check this stuff.

Old 05-29-2011, 02:10 AM

ok kool thanks ya since tomorrow isnt supposed to rain ill do that i mean what if i do see that stuff should i just send it to the scrap yard

Quick Reply: throtle not going veryfast help