1st Generation S-series (1983-1994) Tech Discuss 1st generation S-series (1983-1994) general tech topics here.

Time for thinking cap

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2015, 10:31 PM
Beginning Member
bondable is on a distinguished road
Default Time for thinking cap

Hey everyone I have something here that may stump a few people.
I have a 1994 S10 Blazer with 4.3L Vortec with engine W CPI with approx 130000 Miles on it.
I have removed the entire engine, tranny, transfer-case and placed it into a Jeep CJ7 and also used the engine harness and wiring under the dash from the Blazer.
After the engine swap everything ran great for 2 weeks until one day it just sputtered to a dead stop on the side of the road.
I checked for spark(good) threw some fuel into intake and it sputtered to life for brief moment, I turned the key off and trailered it home because I had a buddy with a trailer show up anyways.

I opened up the plenum to check for any fuel leaking.....was waiting for fuel pressure tester to come in following day and nothing amiss was there, tested pressure and steady 61 PSI. tried starting and it fires right up with no issues for 3 days, then I went on a trip and 100 miles down the road it started surging and quit, checked fuel pressure steady at 61PSI and system had spark...WTF. throw gas into the intake and it fired right up drove another 30 miles and died again, this time I replaced the fuel pump(had spare Inline) still would not start...checked pressure still 61, throw gas into intake and off we go again.

I have since replaced TPS, fuel pressure regulator, new cap and rotor, new plugs.
I have removed gas cap, tried another fuel pump, checked wire for power for injector in plenum.
Please note if I go slow with the throttle I can get up to maybe 40 if I hit the throttle hard it wants sputter and will die.

Old 05-05-2015, 11:53 PM
BF Veteran
AJBert is a jewel in the roughAJBert is a jewel in the roughAJBert is a jewel in the rough

This might be way to simple but have you tried putting in a new fuel filter? You might also want to throw you favorite flavor of fuel system cleaner in the tank.

Otherwise, I'd look into the CPU for what you are describing. Oh, I don't have a clue about them dang computers but do know they can cause some weird stuff if everything isn't just right.

Old 05-06-2015, 12:29 AM
Beginning Member

Yes I have changed the fuel filter and replacing the computer has been on my mind but was hope full someone may have another idea.
I can record a small video of the laptop with scanner hooked up.
Will throw one up tomorrow and maybe someone can see something out of the ordinary.

Old 05-06-2015, 03:25 AM
BF Veteran
newguy will become famous soon enoughnewguy will become famous soon enough

still may be the pump.Could going slowly

Old 05-06-2015, 08:47 AM
Starting Member
hoebob69 is on a distinguished road

Have you checked the ignition control module? Sometimes when they're on the verge of going it'll overheat and do just what yours is doing. When it cools down it'll fire up again. Had a similar issue around thanksgiving last year.

Old 05-07-2015, 11:45 AM
Beginning Member

wondering about that as well, haven't tested it but on my next to do list.
Only thing is I don't think it can cool down that fast...engine dies I immediately throw gas into intake and I am off again so in all maybe 30 seconds.
Taking it to a chevy Guru today and see what happens.

Old 05-07-2015, 07:52 PM
Starting Member
hoebob69 is on a distinguished road

Im having a similar issue with my 1987 2.8. Its basically just a guess and check.

Old 05-07-2015, 11:39 PM
Beginning Member

Here is a video to dropbox , maybe someone can figure this out...almost thinking its injector issue due to the way its looks
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/yc2n5xxng...hwfxTyIFa?dl=0

Old 05-11-2015, 12:26 AM
Beginning Member

Put a new spider injector system in and ran great for 45 min, then it died seems like the new part was faulty...Damn ended up flooding all the cylinders with Gas.
New replacement will be here Tuesday and let you know how it goes.

Old 05-18-2015, 11:48 PM
Beginning Member

Well as luck would have it the second spider started to pretend it was a fountain, gas spewing up into the air and kinda looked cool....kinda but after taking a video and feeling a little upset because this was the second new one that messed up I called the company and provided video of the issue I was having, seems like they wanted those two spiders sent directly to them for their team to look into this problem.

I installed a 3rd one and so far 200 miles later its still running strong, only issue is now when I start it blows out a puff of blue that I have never had before.
Wonder if having the engine flooded with gas could have caused this?
I did drain the oil/gas but could this have caused damage so quickly?

Quick Reply: Time for thinking cap