1st Generation S-series (1983-1994) Tech Discuss 1st generation S-series (1983-1994) general tech topics here.

timing marks/balancer Top Dead Center

Old 03-25-2009, 08:41 PM
Beginning Member
thehustler211 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default timing marks/balancer Top Dead Center

Im trying to figure this out. When my timing marks are lined right up on the timing chain sprockets the key hole on the crankshaft points to 0 on the timing tab like it is supposed to but there is no line on the balancer where zero is. There are 2 lines but neither one is even close to where 0 is. I know one is compression stroke and one is timing but it makes no sense neither one is on the crank at zero . Should i just mark a line for zero on the balancer and forget the other lines? i need to get this thing timed

Attached Thumbnails timing marks/balancer Top Dead Center-timing.jpg  
Old 03-26-2009, 07:56 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Does the crank gear have multiple key way slots?

Please put your vehicle information in your signature...

Old 03-26-2009, 11:15 AM
Beginning Member

no there is just one key hole slot its weird we are confused trying to get this thing back together and on time. thanks

Old 03-30-2009, 10:28 PM
Beginning Member

figured it out the middle of the balancer was turning at the ruber ring.

Old 03-31-2009, 12:43 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

That's not good.

Old 04-01-2009, 04:35 AM
Beginning Member
Default balancer

not good?yeah i tore the whole truck apart did the timingchain and made my own mark on the balancer with a file and timed it. It seemed to be almost deadon time but afterdriving all day it still bogs everyonce in a while. Ithink that balancermight be turning agai. Any suggestions on whereto get a new balancer is this something i should get from the junk yard? does this happen often? anyoneever heardof this happening???? again the inside of the balancer is obviously turning on the inside where the ruber ring is because the TBC mark on the outsideof the balancer is moving. alsobout to do a new distributer. Could a bad distributer cause the balancer to shift? I hate/ LOVEthis blazer but damn im learning alot fixing this thing.

Old 04-01-2009, 03:30 PM
Administrator

I would not bother messing with a used balancer. Just get a new one.