1st Generation S-series (1983-1994) Tech Discuss 1st generation S-series (1983-1994) general tech topics here.

Tricks for passing emissions tests?

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2010, 03:45 PM
ohsofly will become famous soon enoughohsofly will become famous soon enough
Default Tricks for passing emissions tests?

Ive come across a couple that I use to help out, you guys may have testing where you live too.

1- Methyl hydrate in the gastank. Its alcohol, clean burning. I try to get at least 25% mix in the tank. The way I figure it, that will drop your HC emissions by at least 25% then... Ive had about 50% mix in a carbuerated 80 honda that ACED the test with flying colors even though it was burning a little oil... This stuff sells for about 10 bucks a gallon at the auto parts stores. It is also good for cleaning the fuel gum out of your lines and injectors. Its also more volatile than gasoline, so I think you should be making a little more power running on alcohol for the time that tank takes to burn it all off... Could be fun. My S10 with the V8 is definatley faster with a 25-40% mix in it... Its alot louder too...

2- Hard tires, if you tires hold a max of 35 psi, blow them up to 50... Rock hard tires have less rolling resistance on the dynos. Dont worry about them bursting, when I worked in a tire shop we were pissing around seeing how much tires can hold, we had a 195/70R14 max 35psi, that we got up to just over 90 before it burst...

3- Hot engine. The test only takes a couple minutes, so if you have electric fans, unhook the plugs from them so they dont run around the corner from the testing station, then pull out and hook them back up. I think the alcohol also burns hotter than gasoline too, so that will help.

4- Drill some small holes after the muffler, but before the tailpipe. The guys stick a "sniffer" in the tailpipe, and the more exhaust that doesnt get to the tailpipe, the less it gets to sniff, the better your results. Just makes the holes not easily visible, or a bunch very small cause the guy squats down and looks under the car.

AirCare is a bitch where I live (Vancouver area) and I heard they are turfing it next year... Anyone else have any more ideas to throw out there?

Last edited by ohsofly; 02-02-2010 at 03:47 PM.
Old 02-02-2010, 06:45 PM
Beginning Member
noseback is on a distinguished road

man i havn't seen any emission station that has the old dyno style tests anymore. out here in IL they got rid of all that and now they go by your OBDII plug. best way to pass is not to have any check engine lights. erasing a code or taking out the light on the dash won't help you. also in IL it applies to vechiles 96 and up so anything 95 and older is exempt from this so my 95 blazer is off the chain no emissions for my truck.

Old 02-02-2010, 06:52 PM
BF Veteran
abig84 will become famous soon enoughabig84 will become famous soon enough

ive done the put a bunch of "heat" in the tank with low fuel and it didnt improve the emissions at all. and the fuel pump took a crap pulling out of the emissions place.

puting catalytic converters on fixed the problem though

Old 02-02-2010, 07:21 PM
ohsofly will become famous soon enoughohsofly will become famous soon enough

Yeah here you get strapped onto the dyno, they put a big fan in front of your vehicle, they hook you up to OBD 1 or 2, shove a sniffer up your tailpipe and you go through some tests. If your engine light is on they dont even proceed past the scanning.

They measure Hydro Carbon emissions, NO2 emissions, and something else I forget what it is... At idle speed.

Then you make a dyno pull and they measure the same things... They dont measure your horsepower though darn...!

Then you pay your 45 bucks and they give you a printout that either passes or fails you, and that goes to the insurance people before you get reinstated...

The test here is every 2 years, exemptions for collector cars, and new cars under 7 years old...

Old 02-02-2010, 07:38 PM
BF Veteran
ABN31B is on a distinguished road

I do the "find a buddy who is in an unicorporated part of the city and change my address at the dmv to their house so that when my change of address sticker shows up i have mail proving my residence and i can skip DEQ and Emmissions testing so long as my plate (not tags) stays valid" trick.

works like a charm 100% of the time for my self, family, and friends. to date i have never had a vehicle get tested. <-- suck it oregon

Old 02-03-2010, 08:39 AM
Starting Member
bigjon1 is an unknown quantity at this point

I had a 77 f100 that wouldnt pass the sniffer for nothing. Long story short I put a quart of rubbing alcohol in the tank and retarded the timing so far back that it barely run and it passed

Old 02-03-2010, 08:48 AM
Beginning Member
Sway_89S10 is on a distinguished road

Fun Fact: No emissions testing or smog laws in South Florida

When I had my '83 Firebird, I was running a 350 with shorty headers, true duals, no cats, and flowmasters. And no one could do a thing about it

Old 02-03-2010, 09:08 AM
BF Veteran
ABN31B is on a distinguished road

God Bless American then!

Old 02-07-2010, 05:58 AM
Gimpy Blazer is on a distinguished road

Unfortunately here in the Ft. Worth, Texas area we have annual vehicle inspections and emissions testing with the good old dyno for vehicles pre 1996. You get exempted if it's 25 years old so my 84 Jimmy doesn't have to have it. BUT my 94 Blazer failed the NOx portion. There sure wasn't anything you could put in the gas tank to fool it though. The catalytic converter was gutted out as I found out later. What was a real joke (on me) was the engine light came on after the test on the way home and the O2 sensor was bad. Replaced the cat and sensor and it passed with flying colors. Oh well. I'm doing my share for cleaner air. Breathe easier. I know I will.

Old 02-07-2010, 09:40 AM
04CVLXsport is on a distinguished road

changing your oil just before you get tested is good too, also , a good long drive to make sure you are good and hot will help too.

Quick Reply: Tricks for passing emissions tests?