1st Generation S-series (1983-1994) Tech Discuss 1st generation S-series (1983-1994) general tech topics here.

Trying to change a tire, did I miss something?

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2006, 05:15 AM
Nickasinsaltlick is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Trying to change a tire, did I miss something?

Hey folks! I've got a falling apart 1991 S10 Blazer that I drive maybe once a week. It's got an automatic transmission. I'm pretty sure everything on the truck is stock.

Anyhow, today I ventured out to take it for its weekly spin and noticed that the front passenger tire was completely flat. So I thought I'd throw the spare on until I could get some new tires thrown on it. So I made sure it was in park, set the emergency brake, and jacked it up. Got all of the lugnuts off of the wheel and tried to yank it off. It wouldn't budge. I'm a fairly big guy and put some pull behind it and I couldn't get the wheel to move at all. Did I forget to do something?

Appreciate it!

Old 12-23-2006, 05:54 AM
BF Veteran
Chevy Lover has a spectacular aura aboutChevy Lover has a spectacular aura aboutChevy Lover has a spectacular aura about
Default RE: Trying to change a tire, did I miss something?

It's probably got some rust on the hub. You can start by spraying wd40 or any penetrating fluid around the center of the wheel in the area of the hub.
I recommend putting a jackstand under the frame for safety, then get the biggest hammer you have and a piece of wood. put the wood up against the inside edge of the wheel and smack it with the hammer. Rotate the wheel and repeat until the wheel comes off.

Old 12-23-2006, 12:10 PM
BF Veteran
blazinloud is an unknown quantity at this point

and if that dosent work......get a bigger hammer, lol

Old 12-23-2006, 12:19 PM
Retired Admin
zero psi is an unknown quantity at this point

put a lugnut on just a couple of threads so when it breaks free, your wheel won't end up rolling into traffic or something.

Old 12-23-2006, 02:53 PM
BF Veteran
Hanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond repute

No you didn't miss anything. Like posted above. The wheel rusts to the hub face. Spray Pb Blaster aorund hte center and into each lug hole. Rotate the tire and spray. Tap the wheel face so the penetrant soaks in. Love taps, you dont want to mark the wheel.

then like posted above, hammer and wood or a rubber mallet. Beat on the rim, not hte tire. Putting a lug nut on is an excellent tip.

I like to use anti-sieze on the hub face and clean up the wheel face so it doesnt rust agian. then next time the tire will come off pretty easy.

Old 12-23-2006, 08:04 PM
swdockter is an unknown quantity at this point

I lay on the ground and kick the tire with the bottom of my foot. Boy, I'll bet that's a sight to be seen (hahaha). Otherwise, the BFH and a block of wood does wonders.

Old 12-27-2006, 03:40 AM
Nickasinsaltlick is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks a million folks. I thought I was going crazy for awhile there!