1st Generation S-series (1983-1994) Tech Discuss 1st generation S-series (1983-1994) general tech topics here.

93 idle issues

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2009, 08:13 AM
Beginning Member
tprouty is an unknown quantity at this point
Default 93 idle issues

Hi all,
I am having trouble with my 93 blazer, when i start it it just puts and wants to die. the exhaust smoke is pure white, and it comes out in bursts. after about 10 min of idle the SES light will come on. When I come to a stop while driving it will die unless I keep my foot on the gas and brake at the same time. It runs fine while im driving down the road, just acts up at a stop. So far have replaced the "spider" and the computer. The previous owner says its got all new parts in the front end ie: spider, egr, sensors etc. So they previous owner has it now and is looking at it for me. He thinks in a ground wire thats not grounded right and this other guy thinks its something with the fuel lines. I need this thing running ASAP as I drive a sports car that cant be drivin in the snow. anyone have any suggestions on what could be causeing this thing to run like this?

Old 01-19-2009, 08:35 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: 93 idle issues

Have you done a fuel pressure test that would lead you to believe that it is a fuel supply problem?

I would actually lean towards either a clogged EGR (exhaust gas recirculation) valve (clean it and reinstall with a new, screened gasket) and/or a dirty, clogged IAC (idle air control) valve (remove, clean both the valve and the bore it goes into thoroughly and reinstall). But if a fuel pressure test results in inadequate fuel pressure, then these things would just be good preventative maintenance.

The puffing white smoke may be caused by a failed intake manifold gasket allowing coolant into the cylinders. You can check this by removing all of your plugs and looking for ones that are very clean. Coolant in the cylinders will steam clean the plugs resulting in a nice white ceramic core and clean electrodes.

Old 01-19-2009, 08:45 AM
Beginning Member

I have not done a fuel pressure test. I will suggest that to them today. I will also suggest they clean the EGR and the IAC. Thank you for your suggestions!

Old 01-19-2009, 01:25 PM
Peru Motors is an unknown quantity at this point

you said an SES lite was on-what code did it give you/us? Jerry[:-]

Old 01-19-2009, 01:32 PM
Beginning Member

Its weird, we hooked up a reader and it came back with nothing. I'll have them try again.

Old 01-19-2009, 01:46 PM
Peru Motors is an unknown quantity at this point

that's strange-cigarette fuse blowed? Try and get that info, if you can. It could be a big help in the solution of this problem! Jerry

Old 06-12-2009, 08:24 PM
Beginning Member

Ok, so I'm pissed now cause I took the EGR off the truck and that was the problem, (guess he really didn't change it) there is a huge chunk of carbon in the EGR. does anyone know the exact part # and screen I need from NAPA

93 S10 Blazer 4x4 vin W

would you suggest a new EGR or just a really good cleaning and a new gasket? the EGR is in really rough shape or maybe im expecting to much.

Old 06-12-2009, 09:16 PM
Beginning Member
ClueMeIn1989 is on a distinguished road

I cleaned mine today, and it runs like gold now, If the little valve (pintle I believe its called)) is too badly caked with carbon try really scrubbing that down, that seems to be the biggie in these types of problems. The egr is a pretty pricey part, so try your best to shine it up with the choke cleaner, see if that does the trick. --Kyle

oh and I have a 94' so it should be the smae part number, --here's the one I got from autozone today - Tomco brand part # 2-1357 "Klean Screen Gasket"

Old 06-12-2009, 09:27 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

I would always try a good cleaning and a new screened gasket prior to replacing the valve. The EGR valve is not exactly cheap...

Napa PN for the gasket you are looking for is CRB225237.

Old 06-13-2009, 11:42 AM
Beginning Member

awesome thanks guys, all I have for cleaning would be seafoam... would that work or should I pick something up at autozone?

after reading both your posts I went and looked at the part - The valve was stuck open with a chunk of carbon. I removed it with a pic and it shut, guess this was the issue the whole time. wish the guy working on it did this in the first place back when yall said EGR. oh well. I'll scrub it down with either seafoam or what you suggest. Thanks for all your help. I finally get to drive it!!!

Quick Reply: 93 idle issues