1st Generation S-series (1983-1994) Tech Discuss 1st generation S-series (1983-1994) general tech topics here.

What are the side effects of driving with the egr solenoid Unplugged?

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2012, 12:40 PM
Beginning Member
RexCastle is on a distinguished road
Default What are the side effects of driving with the egr solenoid Unplugged?

I replaced my egr and my new one is doing the same thing the oild one was, so im thinking my egr solenoid is bad. I was reading on another forum for a diff type of car that if i just unplug the egr and cap it all off that the ECU will still shoot the egr solenoid commands that it can not fulfill, however upon unplugging the egr solenoid and resetting the computer that it would completely look past it, this was for that car, do our trucks work on a similar basis.

What is the side effects of running like this until i can find a new one for a price i can afford(have to love December), $60 is the best ive found one so far, if anyone knows where i could get a used one or have a used one please let me know. My junkyard doesn't have any of our trucks on the lot currently.

Last edited by RexCastle; 12-06-2012 at 12:46 PM.
Old 12-06-2012, 02:33 PM
LeWhite will become famous soon enough

EGR dosnt work when idling or wfo. There is a power on sequence where the ecu checks the electronic spark timing; egr; and knock sensor. If it doesnt get back the right answers it will kick a obd code. The side effect will be a lot of detonation at part throttle operation. And possible short term fuel trims going
positive

Old 12-06-2012, 02:41 PM

Sorry for the DP because Sprint Sucks. One thing needs to be checked first. Make sure passages fron EGR valve to exaust as well as EGR to plenum are clear.

Old 12-06-2012, 02:51 PM
Beginning Member

Originally Posted by LeWhite
Sorry for the DP because Sprint Sucks. One thing needs to be checked first. Make sure passages fron EGR valve to exaust as well as EGR to plenum are clear.
I cleaned all that when i swapped EGRs, there was carbon buildup but no chunking

What will happen is when the egr solenoid kicks in to tell the egr to do its thing the truck will start stalling while at idle and running like ****, the second i pull the vacuum tube that leads to the egr it idles back correct, if i plug it back in it will go to **** again ect..

Thats why i changed the EGR to begin with.

Old 12-06-2012, 03:11 PM

There should be no EGR at idle. Check vacuum hookup at valve or relay

Last edited by LeWhite; 12-06-2012 at 03:19 PM.
Old 12-06-2012, 03:19 PM
Beginning Member

There should be no EGR at idle
Well apparently on my truck there is lol, if not pulling that hose off while its idling and running like crap would have no effect. Maybe the egr solenoid is in fact bad and sending bad info to the egr? When its doing it it nearly chokes itself out and sometimes does and goes up and down, almost as if the egr is pumping back and forth (same effect as when you compress the egr manually)

That hose seems to be in good shape

Old 12-06-2012, 03:21 PM

check vacuum line hookup

Old 12-06-2012, 03:27 PM
Beginning Member

check vacuum line hookup
the Vacuum line from the TB to the solenoid is good, and the one from the solenoid to the egr is new, or are you referring to another line?

Old 12-06-2012, 03:39 PM

Vacuum from ported throttle body or manifold vacuum?
How many ports on solenoid? Is there a vacuum routing diagram under hood (its a EPA requirement)?
Been a long time since my gen1.

Old 12-06-2012, 04:21 PM
Beginning Member

Vacuum from ported throttle body or manifold vacuum?
How many ports on solenoid? Is there a vacuum routing diagram under hood (its a EPA requirement)?
Been a long time since my gen1.
Its this one in the pic below. 2 Ports, and my truck does not have a routing diagram i had to look at someone else truck that was like mine to verify mine was hooked up right

Name:  IMG_0279.jpg
Views: 2286
Size:  93.5 KB

Quick Reply: What are the side effects of driving with the egr solenoid Unplugged?