1st Generation S-series (1983-1994) Tech Discuss 1st generation S-series (1983-1994) general tech topics here.

Why is my Mpg so bad?

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2009, 09:22 AM
Starting Member
classklown90 is on a distinguished road

I have a 1994 4dr 4x4 blazer with a v-6 vortec engine. I know that mpg is never great on theses but 8-10 mpg city seems very low to me and I do onot know why its this low. I have a brush guard on the front which ive heard can take 1 mpg off because of the weight but thats still low. My tires are filled all the way and I use regular grade gas if that helps. Any help would be great thanks.

Btw i have an anti-lock light on, dont know if that matters

Last edited by rriddle3; 05-17-2009 at 09:52 AM. Reason: CONSECUTIVE POSTS
Old 05-17-2009, 11:42 AM
96chevblazer is an unknown quantity at this point

how many miles do you have it may be time for a tuneup have you had one done recently and if so make sure your running AC/DEL CO plugs

Old 05-17-2009, 12:02 PM
Starting Member
classklown90 is on a distinguished road

why the AC/DEL Co plugs? Just curious and yea it might be time for a tuneup I bought it used and im not sure when the last one was

Old 05-21-2009, 11:50 AM
Beginning Member
muszyngr is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Replace your fuel filter

i replaced the fuel filter on my '85 Blazer and it helped, also replace air filter if you have the disposable one, are your wheels/tires stock size or are you running something that's oversized, do you have any engine codes, is your Check Engine Light on, could be that a sensor is bad, maybe the Oxygen Sensor.

you could also run some Chevron high octane 91 or what ever the highest they have at the pump where you are at, the Techron in it should clean up your jets a bit and it may help, worked on my wife's Tahoe. Just fill up one tank with that gasoline and run it through then you can go back to normal gas that you are using

I would recommend you make one change at a time and see what the results are.

Old 05-21-2009, 04:07 PM
96chevblazer is an unknown quantity at this point

Also try seafoam do some searching here and youll find a lot about the magical SEAFOAM lol, also go on youtube and type in seafoam

Old 05-21-2009, 06:15 PM
BF Veteran
ABN31B is on a distinguished road

Check/Do the following:
* Filters: change fuel and air filter (if needed)
* Seafoam: get a bottle for $8. Read up and blast it through your throttle body.
* Injector cleaner (or more seafoam if so inclined): Pour it in with your next fill up and drive.
* Thermostat: If it's stuck open, replace. If it's stuck halfway, replace. Hell, replace it they are $12.
* Tow Straps: Look for a vehicle that you see going to work/school around the same time you do. Make sure they end up around the same general final destination. At a red light, slide out, strp up, slide back in, drop her in neutral, and steal MPG...

Search around, there is actually a lot on this subject in the forum. More than my shoddy quick list.

*EDIT: Sorry for the broken record. Can't let a page sit idle for 2 hours and then reply...

Last edited by ABN31B; 05-21-2009 at 06:17 PM. Reason: lazy
Old 05-21-2009, 07:32 PM
mech cb is on a distinguished road

You dont feel your truck slowing down unusually fast do you? What are your RPMs sitting at on the highway?

Old 05-21-2009, 08:28 PM
Starting Member
fondo has a little shameless behavior in the past

Have you ever taken the intake plenum off and checked the condition of the fuel pressure regulator and the internal supply/return lines (nut kit)? If not, pull it off and have a look. Easy enough to fix if anything is leaking... Search the forum for further details!!

Old 05-23-2009, 01:19 AM
Beginning Member
001blazer is an unknown quantity at this point

The intake cleaning is a great idea I cleaned my blazer intake, you will love the difference. You might want to go with a K&N cold air intake unless you don't want to spend a couple of $100, but changing your oxigen sensors should help too as well as cleaning the throttle body on your blazer. I agree with maszyngr using chevron with techron should help, use thinker oil if you need it and try oil stiblilizer if you have more than 130,000 miles on your blazer, also make sure that your exhaust system is working properly if you drive in the mostly in the city use E3 spark plugs your vehicle should perform better and give you more mpg. I hope this helps.

Old 05-23-2009, 01:29 AM
mikeinwi has much to be proud ofmikeinwi has much to be proud ofmikeinwi has much to be proud ofmikeinwi has much to be proud ofmikeinwi has much to be proud ofmikeinwi has much to be proud ofmikeinwi has much to be proud ofmikeinwi has much to be proud ofmikeinwi has much to be proud of

^^ E3 plugs are nothing more than a gimmick, its been discussed countless times on the forum and it always comes down to the simple fact that our engines run much better on AC/Delcos. to the OP also check ur tire pressure, most tires can lose up half the air in them before they actually look to low and if they are low youll be surprised how much of a difference itll be after theyll back up to their normal psi.

Quick Reply: Why is my Mpg so bad?