1st Generation S-series (1983-1994) Tech Discuss 1st generation S-series (1983-1994) general tech topics here.

Wiper Arm Removal

Old 01-12-2008, 05:39 PM
Dog
Dog is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Wiper Arm Removal

Did a search, but nothing specific enough turned up.

How do I get the windshield wiper arms off? I see the small tab underneath (which is a bear to get to), but still no luck. Do you push the tab, pull it, move it outward, inward, side to side? Can't get the arm to come off. Any help would be appreciated.

While I'm asking, what's the best way to get to the base of the antenna - mine is loose, and I suspect there is a nut underneath that needs to be tightened, but I'm not about to start removing body panels to get to it. Suggestions? Much thanks.

Old 01-12-2008, 07:16 PM
DetroitMuscle is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: Wiper Arm Removal

I do believe there are ways to get it off, but there is a specific tool to do the job clean and damage-free.

Old 01-12-2008, 07:44 PM
HeyYou is an unknown quantity at this point

On yours, I beleive if you look at the pivot, where the arm secures to the "****", there should be little holes on either side. If you lift the wiper arm stick a nail thru there, let the wiper arm rest against the nail, you should be able to wiggle the arm off.

Old 01-12-2008, 09:23 PM
Blazin_Jason will become famous soon enough

ORIGINAL: HeyYou

On yours, I beleive if you look at the pivot, where the arm secures to the "****", there should be little holes on either side. If you lift the wiper arm stick a nail thru there, let the wiper arm rest against the nail, you should be able to wiggle the arm off.
Hey that sounds familar. I'm pretty sure that's what I did when I took mine off (which are still off). They just lift up off.

Old 01-13-2008, 09:39 AM
Dog

ORIGINAL: HeyYou

I'm not seeing any holes on the stalk of the wiper motor. There are holes on both sides of the wiper arm where it hinges, but these are not close to the stalk and do nothing. Any more specific directions or others thoughts? Thanks.

Old 01-13-2008, 10:49 AM

What you do is take a finishing nail or the like, and put it though those 2 holes where it hinges on the arm. That will keep the wiper lifted off of the windshield. That will allow you to pry/wiggle/lift the base of the arm up from the splined shaft.

Old 01-13-2008, 11:04 AM
Dog

ORIGINAL: Blazin_Jason

What you do is take a finishing nail or the like, and put it though those 2 holes where it hinges on the arm. That will keep the wiper lifted off of the windshield. That will allow you to pry/wiggle/lift the base of the arm up from the splined shaft.
BINGO![sm=bounceybounce.gif] With those instructions, it took me 30 seconds with a finishing nail and a padded pry bar. Genius, Jason! Thanks for the detail in your instructions. I literally have spend 2 hours on the @&#*#^ things.

Now, about that antenna question in my original post...thoughts?

Old 01-13-2008, 11:08 AM

Not too sure on the best way to tighten the antenna. There is a nut that holds it to the fender. When I shaved mine, I had the fender off the truck. What is behind the area were you need to get at? Hopefully it can be done without having to remove the inner fender.

Old 01-13-2008, 12:48 PM
Dog

ORIGINAL: Blazin_Jason
What is behind the area were you need to get at? Hopefully it can be done without having to remove the inner fender.
The inner fender...

That's what I'm trying to avoid. I may just live with a loose antenna until such time I should ever need to dismantle the fender.