1st Generation S-series (1983-1994) Tech Discuss 1st generation S-series (1983-1994) general tech topics here.

Wipers/ Washer problem ( I wanna drive in the rain!)

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2010, 01:53 AM
Starting Member
degaine_designs is on a distinguished road
Default Wipers/ Washer problem ( I wanna drive in the rain!)

Well, I guess I coulllllld drive in the rain, but it might be hard to see and I'd probably get a ticket for not using them, then a fix-it ticket on top of that after I tell the officer "but they don't work." Heh.

Anyway, the last time it snowed (March?) I kinda made the mistake of turning the wipers on while they still had snow on them. Hey, I'm from the desert, still new to this white powdery stuff that falls from the sky. Needless to say the wipers stopped working. The washer quit working before this.

I haven't had the money till now to fix them and I'd like to be able to drive when it rains. I was about to order a new wiper motor then thought maybe I should ask you guys if there is a way of testing the switch on the column to see if its working since both the washer and wiper don't work. I figure maybe the problem with both could be connected. Also is there a way to check just the wiper motor to see if it works? Yes, I checked the fuse - its fine.

Old 06-09-2010, 11:55 PM
Beginning Member
mosfetpioneer is an unknown quantity at this point

Well its not really a fix, but would help your driving in the rain issue-rainex
Its a window/windsheild conditioner that causes the water to bead up and when your driving you dont even need the windsheild wipers
I live in florida(i get plenty of rain) and NEVER have to use the wipers
the bottle costs maybe 5 bucks and only needs to be reapplyed once a month or so
cheap fix for now

Old 06-10-2010, 03:29 AM
Starting Member
degaine_designs is on a distinguished road

Thanks, yeah I know about Rain-X. That'd help some, but not if I got stopped by a cop. Its technically illegal to drive in rain in NJ without the wipers going. I'd hate to get a ticket for that and then a fix-it ticket on top of it.

I have a motor and pump coming (at some point) so I'll replace them when they get here.

Old 05-21-2011, 11:21 AM
radiokid is on a distinguished road

I dont see cops wanting to pull you over just for not using the wipers, hell I speed in the rain only cuz i know they can not use radar because the rain messes up the radar signal, and they never want to get out in the rain.

I am having the same issue however my issue is my wiper fuse blows alot, and it looks like my wipers are having a hard time wiping my windshield. idk .

Old 05-21-2011, 01:10 PM
BF Veteran
chris015 has a spectacular aura aboutchris015 has a spectacular aura aboutchris015 has a spectacular aura about

Before you spend money,if its like the box model blazers the wiper motor grounds itself to the firewall. Loosen a bolt that secures it to the firewall and run a piece of wire from under the head of the bolt to a ground strap on the firewall from something else..My motor stopped working,i did this and it fixed it. the bolts corrode to the firewall over time and causes grounding issues.

Also about rain x,its good stuff,but the one time i used it with a combo with wipers,it would smear and pre-wear my wiper blades..Could of just been my luck.

Old 10-11-2011, 01:30 PM
alex85061 is on a distinguished road

Tried the winter blades and they are way too stiff for my curved windshield then tried one piece style blades and they work great (much, much, much better than the winter wipers)

Old 02-03-2012, 12:01 PM
choover82 is on a distinguished road

my 92 blazers wiper motor and fluid motor quit at same time...but i can here a buzz from the wiper motor...is that the death sign?

Also, anyone have a windshield for sale???

----

Sorry but its raining and yet have fixed my wipers...need to know if the motor is dead or is there a relay to check? All fuses are good.

Last edited by choover82; 02-20-2012 at 11:31 PM. Reason: Combined post