1st Generation S-series (1983-1994) Tech Discuss 1st generation S-series (1983-1994) general tech topics here.

$200 offered to whoever can fix this rough idle bull ****

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2010, 10:52 PM
Beginning Member
00bluegtp is on a distinguished road
Default $200 offered to whoever can fix this rough idle bull ****

As the title says if there is someoneon hre close to me that can figure this out and fix it i will give you 200 dollars. I live in westchester county NY. Please help me. I am tired of taking it to people who tell me different things all the time. Its always I thnk is this or this. Please help me. Well I have replaced fuel pump, fuel filter, engine, cpi unit, nut kit, I blocked off the egr with a plate sandwiched between the 2. It has new delco spark plugs and wires, and new delco cap and rotor. I have had it to several local shops and they dont know whats wrong with it. It seems to happen more on hills like when backing down my driveway. Or pulling down somtimes it looses its brakes and runs like a cammed big block. After I blocked off the egr it seemed fine for a few days it ran like a clock and now tonight i went to pick up salt for the blizzard coming and it was fine the hole way to home depot and back and I get to my driveway start backing down and i lost my brakes almost ran into my dads cadi and the whole truck was shaking. I get on flat ground and rev it up and its running like a clock again. I do not know who can fix this problem i figured putting it on here there would be somone who knows these trucks well. At this point I am going to burn the truck to the ground. It seems to only happen after it is running for a while... The truck seems to be good on gas too so i dont think it has anything to do with the spider. Maybe the ignition control module is going bad? Should i take it out and have it tested.

Old 02-08-2010, 11:26 PM
Starting Member
1997 red blazer is on a distinguished road

I am no expert, but check the hose at the PVC in the valve cover as it could be cracked. Also look at the vaccum hoses and the hose that goes to the Brake Booster as it sound like you have a vaccum leak with the loss of your brakes? Hope this Helps

Old 02-09-2010, 12:37 AM
packofqtips is an unknown quantity at this point

sounds like a serious vacuum leak

have someone put it in reverse while holding the brake and rev it up and look for a spot where the torque of the engine is pulling on the vacuum lines

Old 02-09-2010, 01:00 AM
TheBrettster has a reputation beyond reputeTheBrettster has a reputation beyond reputeTheBrettster has a reputation beyond reputeTheBrettster has a reputation beyond reputeTheBrettster has a reputation beyond reputeTheBrettster has a reputation beyond reputeTheBrettster has a reputation beyond reputeTheBrettster has a reputation beyond reputeTheBrettster has a reputation beyond reputeTheBrettster has a reputation beyond reputeTheBrettster has a reputation beyond repute

Sounds like o2 sensors to me.

Had both mine blow out at the same and never had a SES light pop up. Thing would have trouble idling and have to floor it to move and maybe a nasty vacuum leak.

Old 02-09-2010, 01:20 AM
Gimpy Blazer is on a distinguished road

Given that you seem to lose brakes I would say that a bigtime vacuum leak is the culprit. You have a little check valve on the booster and sometimes these break or deteriorate and you can't really tell by looking at it. It's actually the connection between the hose and the booster.
Do you have a vacuum gauge? A Mity-Vac is a great tool. You can use it as a vacuum gauge as well as the hand held pump it is. The little book that comes with it is a pretty handy troubleshooting guide too. You should check one out. If you do get one, get the brake bleeder attachment with it. Onr person job to bleed brakes.

Old 02-09-2010, 01:38 AM
TheBrettster has a reputation beyond reputeTheBrettster has a reputation beyond reputeTheBrettster has a reputation beyond reputeTheBrettster has a reputation beyond reputeTheBrettster has a reputation beyond reputeTheBrettster has a reputation beyond reputeTheBrettster has a reputation beyond reputeTheBrettster has a reputation beyond reputeTheBrettster has a reputation beyond reputeTheBrettster has a reputation beyond reputeTheBrettster has a reputation beyond repute

The reason I dont think its a vacuum leak is a half decent shop should have detected that.

Can you go into details on HOW you delete your egr. I think its either still in the computer causes problems OR something with the sim or whatever you did to delete it.

Old 02-09-2010, 06:31 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

I don't think a sensor issue would cause a loss of brakes. But we really need clarification on what the OP considers a loss of brakes. If it is just the loss of the power assist to the brakes meaning that he now has to push harder on the brakes to get the truck to stop, then something is affecting vacuum pressure to the booster which also could affect engine operation.

Even if the engine shuts off, you should have at least one attempt at braking with the booster unless the check valve is bad.

When you blocked off the EGR valve, did you put a new gasket between the block off plate and the intake?

Old 02-09-2010, 06:35 AM
Beginning Member

I made a steel plate that fits between the valve and gasket and the truck seemed to be fixed for a couple days it was smooth as silk. Now last night i was backing down the driveway and it started with the bull**** again. Soo the egr is on there its just not doing anything the computer just thinks it is. Yes it has a new gasket. And yes its loss of power brakes and then you really got to lay on them to get it to stop. When I pull the check valve off the booster its hard to pull off and it seems to be holding plenty of vacuum. It seems like if i just use the brake pedal once backing down the drivway it never happens but if i go on and off them not like a jack *** but you know what i mean when your backing up it seems to happen then. Could this be a bad booster?

Last edited by 00bluegtp; 02-09-2010 at 06:44 AM.
Old 02-09-2010, 06:56 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

So let me get this straight, you put the gasket between the valve and the plate? Did you put another gasket between the plate and the intake?

I have seen some weird things with brake boosters. This seems very strange that backing up + brakes = vacuum leak, but I have to believe that the booster is part of the problem.

Old 02-09-2010, 07:03 AM
Beginning Member

The gasket is between the LIM and the block off plate then the valve itself on the outside of them. could it be a clogged fuel filter? Maybe there is **** in it that shifts when on a hill causing low volume or somthing. What i wrote before was incorrect sorry.

Quick Reply: $200 offered to whoever can fix this rough idle bull ****