1st Generation S-series (1983-1994) Tech Discuss 1st generation S-series (1983-1994) general tech topics here.

1989 s10 blazer help!

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2011, 12:14 AM
Starting Member
phishyrichard is on a distinguished road
Default 1989 s10 blazer help!

Hi, I recently bought a 1989 s10 blazer 4.3L V6 4x4. I bought it to use as a ranch vehicle and knowing that the fuel pump was bad and that it had sit for some time(alittle over a year). Since this is my first project vehicle, I am going to just give y'all everything I know and hope for some tips and similar fixes that worked for you.

I bought it a 2 weeks ago and the previous owner said that the fuel pump was out. We got it fired up and idling for about 10 seconds a couple of times by squeezing gas into the intake. After I bought it i dropped the gas tank and put in a new pump. I left the vent hose running from the fuel filler to the acceptor on the top of the fuel pump detached since the hose wasn't longenough (let me know if thats bad). The car began to run fine after that for about 2 days. one morning I woke up to start it and and it really didnt want to go. I replaced the fuel filter and poured in a bottle of seafoam and it started working fine again. Towed it to my ranch and ran it around for some short distances. It was starting up fine, Idling rough at times but usually playing out into a smoother idle the longer i ran it.

Yesterday after letting it sit 2 days I started it up just fine, took a quick lap in it and parked it in the barn. About 3 hours later I went to show my brother my work and much to my embarrasment it wouldnt start at all. The TBI injectors looked leaky so I sprayed some carb and choke cleaner and cleaned up the nozzle and they seem to be spraying normal. I can't get the engine to fire even while being jumped and even going as far as trying to help it with alittle starting fluid. I have not changed the old oil yet and I plan on putting new trans fluid. I haven't changed the spark plugs yet. Can engine spark really go from running to not starting in 3 hours? I know that that was a very long post but I am no expert on cars and any help would be much appreciated.

thanks

Old 05-02-2011, 12:50 AM
Starting Member
phishyrichard is on a distinguished road
Default p.s.

also, when i sprayed some starting fluid it wanted to start the first time. then for a few times after it wouldnt even pop. I let the battery charge even longer and tried it again with just turning the key, no starting fluid, and it started for like 1 second then died and nothing sense. Am i just getting intermitten to no fire in the engine?