Blazer Forum - Chevy Blazer Forums

Blazer Forum - Chevy Blazer Forums (https://blazerforum.com/forum/)
-   1st Generation S-series (1983-1994) Tech (https://blazerforum.com/forum/1st-generation-s-series-1983-1994-tech-40/)
-   -   1994 GMC Jimmy help (https://blazerforum.com/forum/1st-generation-s-series-1983-1994-tech-40/1994-gmc-jimmy-help-90218/)

NCboy20 07-10-2015 05:05 PM

1994 GMC Jimmy help

Need help who knows how to change a steering gear box on a 1994 GMC Jimmy. Or where can I find out how. Thanks

chris015 07-11-2015 05:17 PM

Its fairly simple.

you will need
sockets
rachet
crowbar
pittman arm puller
breaker bar or a heavy duty pipe to give leverage on a rachet if need be.
hammer
-------------

1. remove the pressure lines,Disconnect pittman arm off the center link (the arm that connects to the steering stuff on the front end.)
2. there is the shaft that runs from the steering wheel to the box. there should be a plastic cover above the box you have to pull off. Once off you will see 1 single bolt holding the shaft on. Remove bolt. then take the crowbar,wedge in in there and pry the shaft off. the shaft is 2 pieces and itll slide off of it. fun part is getting back on the box once done. its keyed so itll only go on one way. ONCE you get it partly on for sure use crowbar flat end,lay it against the shaft and lightly hit it with a hammer until it slides on to where you can install the bolt back in.
3. remove the bolts off the frame thats attached to the box. pull the box out.
4. if you are reusing the pittman arm you need that pittman arm puller to get it off. remove the big nut,use that puller to get it off. Autozone rents the tool out,pay a deposit then return it for the refund.

Pretty much it. im going to go eat my dinner now. good luck.

NCboy20 07-27-2015 01:24 PM

Thanks it really helped. Do you know how to do lower and upper ball joints?

mr.vls 07-28-2015 09:23 PM

Upper Ball Joints are riveted from the factory. Need to drill out the rivets. New ball joints come with nuts & bolts. Lower ball joint requires a ball joint press and ideally an Impact gun. The lower ball joint is pressed into the lower control arm. You can borrow a ball joint tool from Auto Zone Loan a Tool program. You pay for the tool up front but you get all your money back when you bring the tool back.

I would search you tube for videos for replacing ball joints. I would search S10 Ball Joint replacement.

richphotos 07-28-2015 10:11 PM

Originally Posted by mr.vls (Post 652615)
Upper Ball Joints are riveted from the factory. Need to drill out the rivets. New ball joints come with nuts & bolts. Lower ball joint requires a ball joint press and ideally an Impact gun. The lower ball joint is pressed into the lower control arm. You can borrow a ball joint tool from Auto Zone Loan a Tool program. You pay for the tool up front but you get all your money back when you bring the tool back.

I would search you tube for videos for replacing ball joints. I would search S10 Ball Joint replacement.

Are you talking about 2wd or 4wd.
I am pretty sure the 4wd lower ball joints are not pressed in. Just the 2wd models.

Topless 07-29-2015 10:10 AM

I recently did the uppers on my 2wd Jimmy. The drilling out the rivets is the worst part.
Use jack stands under the lowers arms and the weight of the truck will keep the springs in place.

Fusion 07-31-2015 11:43 PM

I have a 78 Jimmy and the rear window will not work, I've taken off the access panel but I cannot seem to find anything that will allow me to lower it down manually

NCboy20 01-15-2016 12:07 PM

Hi I'm too dumb but I'm putting a fuel filter on my 1994 Gmc Jimmy so do I put the aero for flow faceing the front or to the back??

mr.vls 01-16-2016 09:03 PM

Arrow goes to the front.